Major Hard Drive problem! Anybody with hardware knowledge- What should I do?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ap, May 21, 2004.

1. ap

ap New Member

Click here if your browser does not automatically
    My computer (running windows xp) recently had problems with restarting itself at weird and unusual times, without any kind of prompting. Soon after, windows began to alert me with its annoying little message bubbles at the bottom of the screen "this program 'such and such' could not find such and such file, please run scan disk." Being the person I am, I hardly ever run scan disk, as I keep my computer on stand-by all the time, and the only time I ever restart it, is when some crashes.

Finally, days later, I ran scan disk, and it was taking HOURS. Scan disk was correcting "crosslinked" files in the temporary internet files folder, and was litteraly doing it file, by file, spending a minute on each .jpg.

I gave up, and manually restarted the computer anyways. (I ain't got time for this shit herrrre.) Started the computer, windows alarmed me that practically every single program had file issues, and I could not keep the screen free from error messages to use the computer. I run scan disk again, wait 4 of 5 hours! And come back to my computer, its now restarting itself over and over, saying there was not enough memory to complete scan disk's "re-linking" of practically ever file on my computer. Now the hard drive won't start up, I can't go into safe mode, I can't do shit. I tossed in an old hard drive with windows 98 on it, and while I`m running the computer this way, It won't recognize my old hard drive either.

What gives? What caused this? And most importantly, how can I recover my old hard drive? If anything, I just want to get my files back. I`m already going to get a new drive to replace it.

CLIFF NOTES: MY COMPUTER GOT OWNED. NEED ADVICE TO RECOVER FILES FROM HARD DRIVE THAT I CURRENTLY CANNOT GAIN ACCESS TO.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've been there before. It comes to a point when it's just not worth trying to fix.

Do you happen to have a spare hard drive? Pop that in there do a format and install. Put you your messed up drive in as a slave and copy what you need.

CM>

3. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

OK, the first question is: How good r u with computers?

I think that you should blast ALL your temporary internet files.
    Then, spend $9.95 on a great lil program called tufftest. http://www.tufftest.com/tt01.htm
    Use that to check your HD w/o windows interfereing.

OIf you cant get winblows to boot, then use knoppix ( a CD booting Linux Distro) to burn all ur files to CD. There is a really nice burning program on Knoppix. It is called K3B. It is basically Nero 4 Linux. http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Keep us posted.

4. ap

ap New Member

I do have a spare hard drive that I pulled from my old windows 98 machine, the hard-drive is useless @ 1 gig, but I figured, like you, that I could just pop in the drive (with win98 already installed) and see my problemed hard drive to browse the files.

Once in windows 98, I still cannot access the hard drive, its not listed.

Is there anything I need to do in order to make my problemed drive the slave besides just leaving it plugged in?? I put the windows 98 drive in the empty hard drive slot, and it booted immediately, as if the other drive wasn't even there.

Am I missing anything? Will switching the spots of the hard drives help at all?

I can't get windows to boot (off of the problemed drive) and my temporary windows 98 setup is useless due to the small hard drive, and lack of drivers for my network card, optical drives, etc., but I will be buying a new hard drive today, installing xp, and then I will attempt to get back some of my old files again. I`ll try the knoppix program, do you have any other advice for once I get xp on a fresh drive? I really just want to access my personal files off my crashed hard drive, and then take a hammer to it. :dunno: :rofl:

Thanks to both of you for your help! :bigthumb:

5. ap

ap New Member

I bought a new hard drive, installed xp pro, I can finally access my drive! :bigthumb: It looks like I lost a couple files here and there, but most of my stuff is recoverable!

Scan disc ran as soon as I got the old drive hooked up as a slave, and scan disc spent a good hour and a half fixing cross linked files :rofl:

Gracias to those kind enough to offer suggestions! If not for ya'll I may have just reformatted my old drive, destroyed all my old files, and called it a day.

I`m glad I didn't. Thank ya. :bigthumb: