major CPU usage, any ideas?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ccrooks, Jan 5, 2004.

1. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

Ok, so here's the deal
    My cpu is going all haywire and computer is reacting really slow. When I play anything with windows media player, the cpu usage shoots up to like 90%, then fluctuates between 100% and about 70% until i shut wmp down... Same thing happens with outlook and ie sometimes. When I try to open up anything with ie while wmp is playing, it makes the mp3s or movies hiccup and studder. I have windows XP professional and a 1.15 (ish) GHz processor, 256 MB RAM and 30 GB hard drive. Could this all be because I have a slow hd? any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks! :x:

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

You need more ram. More processor wouldn't hurt, either.

For free solutions, you should try the the following suggestions in the order they're listed:

1) Empty your Internet Explorer Cache (Open IE, Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> General -> Click the "Delete Files" button, click okay/yes)
    2) Empty your temp folder (My Computer -> Local Disk C: -> Documents and Settings -> YourUserName -> Local Settings -> Temp -> Select All and Delete, you'll have to delete around any files currently being used by XP)
    3) Defrag your Harddrive (My Computer -> Right-click on Local Disk C: -> Left-Click properties -> Tools tab -> Defragment Now -> Defragment)

That should speed things up a bit. Once you do this, we can get into editing the registry and reduce the programs that are getting started on start-up, however that's a bit more complicated.

3. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

run a full virus scan

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

Well, all that's done, and my comp doesn't say that i need to defrag... but i'll do that tonight anyways
    256 MB RAM and 1.15 GHz AMD processor aren't sufficient?
    do you think it would help if i got a new HD and moved all my music files and the such over to that? or just re-installed windows and all components (ie, outlook, wmp, etc.) onto the faster hard drive and just used the slower one to store files?