Major computer problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 20Deep, Aug 13, 2004.

1. 20Deep

20Deep You never with Wenger

OK, sort of a long, confusing story so try to keep with me. About two weeks ago I built a new computer. I had two hard drives, the slave was set up just for data storage and the other was the system drive (obviously). Well everything was working fine for about a week and a half and then when I was in the middle of playing a game, the sound got stuck and the monitor shut off. U thought this was weird because the screen went off but the computer was still on. So I restarted the computer and it wouldnt get past the windows loading screen (the one where the bars go across the screen). It would just go across four times and then re-start and keep doing that over and over again. So after much debating, I decided to just re-format the system drive and re-install windows. Well as the windows set up was formatting the drive, just as it reached %100, it would say "Setup was unable to to format the partition. The disk may be damaged." Ok, so I thought that makes sense, the hard drive was fucked so the game stopped and now it wont load. So I get a new hard drive. Put it in there, boot up to install windows, format the drive, gets to %100 and then "Setup was unable to to format the partition. The disk may be damaged". WTF?? Its a brand new drive, no way is it damaged. So now I'm completely stumped on what to do and I'm losing my fucking mind. Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked around and couldnt find any other cases like this. Please help me out

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Depending on the hard drive manufacturer, you may be able to get on their webiste and download a utility that will do a thorough test on it to make sure it isn't bad so you can rule that out.

Have you tried a different IDE cable and power connector?

3. 20Deep

20Deep You never with Wenger

No, I was thinking about checking a different cable. I'm running a memory test right now to rule that out. I'll see if there is a utility to check the drive too. Thanks.