Maintenance/repair costs for '01 C230, 325i, etc.?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bhaloo, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Bhaloo

Bhaloo Guest

In about a year or so, I'll be looking to get myself a car. It'll have to be used, from around 2001, maybe 2002 (depending on the price). I'm looking at C230's and 325i's for sure, and perhaps an X-type or an A4. I know that all these cars are good, solid cars that perform well (I don't need a racer... just solid, reliable, fun-to-drive daily driver), but I'm a little concerned about maintenance and repairs. I've heard that if something goes wrong, I'm going to have to pay quite a bit to get the problem fixed, which makes sense as these cars aren't exactly Hondas. However, I have also heard that they can have some reliabilty issues, particularly Jaguars and Audis, basically the whole, "If you can afford it, you should be able to maintain it."

So what I want to know is, how reliable are each of these cars? For those of you who have owned or know people who have owned any of these cars, how much on average do you have to pay to keep the running in good condition?

Thanks in advance.

2. dunski

dunski Guest

my friend has a 96' 525i and the air condition sucks ass, to get it maintanced, it cost like 425$

3. Volkl

Volkl New Member

A C240 will be much cheaper, and learn to wrench yourself, making it super cheap

4. Bhaloo

Bhaloo Guest

Really? Interesting. I thought the C230 was the cheapest of the lot.

Since I don't know jack about cars or car maintenance, what kind of stuff should I learn to be able to maintain the car? :hs:

5. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

The current 3-series are great IMO.

6. Maud'dib

Maud'dib It's always summer on the inside...

What would the maintenance on a 1998 BMW 328i be?

7. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

All bmws are reliable. But maintainence and repairs are costly. Tune-ups are expensive.

8. Maud'dib

Maud'dib It's always summer on the inside...

anybody own one (or similar year, model, etc) and can estimate what they spend each year?