Maintenance Calculation - Is This Right?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by midcalbrew, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

OK, I've been reading the stickies and the archives, and according to the noob thread I calculated my maintenance as follows:

Current Weight: 294 (serious fat ass)
    Current BF: 33% (according to some 'trainer' at the gym, number is questionable)

So LBM = 294 x (1 - 0.33) = 197 lbs ... right?

Plugging that in to the noob thread equation I get 3952 calories with fairly low daily activity (desk job).

That seems high - is it just because I'm a fat ass? Trying to get my diet straightened out ... been eating about 2000-2200 calories trying to lose weight, but I haven't lost anything in months despite eating clean and exercising regularly.

2. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

what does your "eating clean" consist of?

3. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Well, I just started using Fitday today. Here's a pretty common day, only thing missing is usually I have 2 scoops of protein in the morning (ran out), so figure another 200 cals and ~40g protein.
    [​IMG]

4. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Seeing the percentages and numbers, I really need to cut back on carbs it seems.

5. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Holy fuck dude drop those carbs.

6. jmezz

Jesus.

7. jmezz

High protein / moderate fats / low carbs.

Take 2 call me in the morning.

8. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Yeah I didn't realize the numbers were that bad. I'm guessing a big part is all the fruit?

Usually I only eat the oatmeal in the morning, then brown or white rice later in the day for complex carbs. The spaghetti was just some leftovers.

9. hootpie

hootpie New Member

:rofl: @ carb-protein ratio. Hint: it should be the other way around.

10. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Heh, yeah, going to work on that. Going to crunch some numbers. How about the total number of calories though? If my maintenance is almost 4000, is 2000-2200 too low? Not low enough?

11. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

If you are a serious fatass 2000 will probably treat you ok if you eat a higher protein diet and lift weights. Start working out in some fashion. Take control!

12. Erebos

Erebos OT Supporter

Even with your ratios out of whack I'm surprised you haven't lost any weight at all eating that amount at your size. Has your diet been consistent the whole time?

13. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

So here's my backstory: I've been fat my whole life, been obese or worse since, hell, probably middle school. Horrible eating habits at home growing up, even worse high school and college. Would usually skip breakfast, sometimes lunch, fast food for dinner. About a year, year and a half ago began trying to eat healthy. Six small meals, doing cardio and some weight training. I've been eating healthy (yeah, clean probably was the wrong word), but not closely looking at ratios or even calories.

Been doing with my girlfriend, also a fatty. We've eaten basically the same things and done the same amount of activity; she's dropped 60 pounds in 18 months. I had my body fat and weight measured June of last year; I was told 302 lbs, 32.5% BF. After just eating better, doing cardio 3-5 times a week, and doing some weight training (not seriously at all) about 3 times a week, I feel a lot better. My clothes fit better, I notice muscle definition where before was just a solid mass of fat. I can do cardio without being winded, my heart doesn't feel like it's going to explode out my chest, etc.

That said, I just had my bodyfat checked again, and it came up 33% (half a percent higher). And my weight is only down ~8 lbs. I'm a bit suspect of the body fat numbers (either the starting, the current, or both), but that's neither here nor there. That's why I'm trying to get more serious about the diet, calories, ratios, etc.

14. Fusion

Fusion OTSS FTW OT Supporter

Thanks for this thread, made me go track what I ate today :wiggle:

15. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Yeah I'm glad I'm doing it now. I read the nutrition sticky a while back, it said if you're over 20% just quit being stupid and eat better and the weight will come off. It didn't and so now it's time to get serious and find out why, and make a directed effort.

16. Fusion

Fusion OTSS FTW OT Supporter

Im trying the same thing I think im well over 20% im a tall skinny kid build with a tummy/love handles and tits. So weird to look at my self in the mirror.

17. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Tell your doctor you're eating 2k calories a day at 300 lbs, working out and still not losing weight. You could have an honest to god thyroid or testosterone issue.

18. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Just wanted to say thanks to F&N for the advice. I've been working to get my ratios better, keeping the same calories and exercise levels, and I've already noticed a big improvement.

[​IMG]

Nearly ten pounds in ten days. I still need to tweak a bit to increase protein a few more % and drop a few more carbs, but I'm already seeing results. Thanks again!

19. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

your second macros are fine for a weight loss diet. The most helpful thing that I've learned is that if you have carbs make sure you have protein too. IME protein and fiber keep me full but carbs keep me energized. I can eat 500 calories of chicken and cheese but I will feel tired an hour afterwards. If I pair that with a small serving of pasta or an apple that will keep me energized and full for awhile.

Also, it looks like you're eating plenty, but try not to go more than 3-4 hours without a balanced snack and that will keep you from overeating/binging. Your girlfriend sounds like she is doing great as well. Goodluck to you both.

20. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Thanks! Yeah, been doing the small meals every 3-4 hours, I honestly can't remember the last time I was 'starving' so I think I'm good. I did notice right after I dropped the carbs significantly I did feel a bit lethargic, but I think I've adjusted to it.

21. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

I love this quote. sorry not making fun just love the unapologetic way you say it + thinking fo your girlfriends reaction to reading your post "ph some Im a fatty huh?" lol. dnt worry about bf % if going by calipers. Go by the mirror. Take pics every week at the same time of day and check your progress. oh and DROP. THE. CARBS.

22. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Yeah dropping that number has been harder than I thought. Everything seems to have them. Fruits, veggies, nuts, protein powder. With all that it seems I can't even get in a serving of rice here and there.

23. gsxtasyd

Even if you dont do carb cycling. sticking to these foods will help your with your fat loss.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/carb_cycling_mma.htm

24. gsxtasyd

Here are your food choices:

Protein: chicken, lean cuts of steak, fish, turkey, egg whites (ratio of 6 egg whites to 1 whole egg), whey, caseinate, any high quality protein powder

Veggies: basically anything green, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, asparagus, salads,

Fats: borage oil, olive oil, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, flax oil

Carbs: potatoes (any kind, also yams are cool), rice (any kind), oatmeal, grits.

You can use any zero calorie condiments and spices to your meals. Also feel free to drink any zero calorie beverages at any time (diet soda, crystal lite, coffee, tea, etc.).

25. midcalbrew

midcalbrew OT Supporter

Yeah my number grams match up a bit, but not my percentages. @ roughly 300lbs, a low carb day would equal 150-300g carbs. I'm averaging like 180g. But the percentage still seems high, maybe because of the limited number of calories?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.