maintaing after a full detail? how long are you guys running?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Mar 25, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Well i should get pics, I detailed my truck the other night. I did the swirl free, VM, CMW. Anyways, after it rains and you wash again, are you guys applying anything else to maintain that shine? I know the polish will last some time, but maybe some QS?

Also how long are you guys running bettween your new polishing. If you polish say 3 weeks later, after you detailed, are you guys re applying wax again? I was talking to a tech from meguairs, and they suggested polising every 3 weeks. They say you dont have to wax, but i cant find that true. Your making layers of products.

What you guys think about this method?
    Thanks
    Rich

Im going to try some new combos, maybe dawn wash and start from scratch.

2. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I haven't done a full detail on my car since October when I bought it. It just hasn't been nice enough.

After a conventional wash I use Eagle One Wax As You Dry. It adds some time to drying but leaves the paint reasonably slick and adds back the shine.

After QEW I usually put on a new coat of wax. At least, this is what I've done in the past because I found that washing with QEW quite a bit of time. Otherwise I'd probably just use meguiars quick detailer. Also heard good things about Mequiars Quick Wax.

I don't buy into the layer of wax theory on wax that has been on the paint for more than a few weeks. Wax is constantly wearing away--any wax or sealant (the rate depends on the type and the conditions). It's not like you can go "Oh, a month passes tomorrow I better get a new coat of wax on my car tonight at 7PM and get a new layer on so I'll have two!" No no. You should reapply the wax when you're not happy (beading, shine, slickness...?). I don't get some of the zaino people that have 8 layers of wax on their paint and I really couldn't tell the difference between 1 layer to their 8--and there's my reason for it.

I don't know but sometimes Mequiars has some not so great people working there CS department. I hope you get what I'm saying.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I maintain the appearance between waxing with Quikshine (you can use any quality QD) and I polish every other time I wax.

4. quamen

quamen New Member

thanks guys for the reply

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I do the same as Scott - wax every 3 months, polish every 6.

6. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

I Zaino every 4 months or so, never wax. Shine stays the same, I just wash it once a week or so.

7. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

hah. i'm not good at maintaining my car. :mad: although i should be. stupid me.