MMA Main Forum AWESOMENESS

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kenny Dalglish, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

2. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I just quit clicking anything MMA related there

3. Kenny Dalglish

but but..

4. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

wtu has obviously never been leg kicked properly. Nor has he watched a Fedor fight, fuck I've never seen him leg kick.

5. Kenny Dalglish

it was a response to what i posted as reasons why klitschko aint ko'ing a well rounded mma fighter

6. Redneck Shinobi

Oh that's very true, plus boxers are only watching out for fists. If he tried to evade a high punch he's going to eat a knee or kick. Boxing techniques are awesome against other boxers, but != to MMA. Look at Rampage :X okay that's mean lol.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yeah pro heavyweight boxers clinch each other all the time without getting KO'd. Once Fedor clinches him its all over.

8. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

i read through a page or two, then said fuck it and closed it.

9. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I picard.jpg in rl about 3 pages in. Main forum talk about MMA is just :uh:

10. Redneck Shinobi

it's like having an army of Joe_cools

11. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

would like to make a comment about Kata though, as I have researched the topic extensively. Forms are NOT a magic bullet for a confontation, where you just do that kata in a fight and you will win. No. It is a merely a set of moves in a sample sequence. What you're really doiong is visualizing the opponent and a specific scenario, and in doing so you are conditioning a response to a particular tactic. The multi-directional nature of kata teaches us to be able to rotate and keep track of multiple opponents, and repeated seqences teach us how to do a move both ways. IN REALITY - your form will probably look nothing like the sample, just chunks of it strewn all over. And you may even repeat a movement many more then two or three times in various directions different from the original.

So, yeah. Forms are a sample sequence of movements. The real idea is to condition a powerful response to a particular attack, and to encourage keeping several opponents at bay.

12. chechen

I train barefoot because I never wear shoes. Flip-flop sandals are the only thing I'll ever wear on my feet, and if someplace requires me to wear something else, I simply don't go there.

Therefore I can always kick them off at a moment's notice.

My Tang Soo Do instructor used to have us do some of our practice sessions in the parking lot, and still required us to be barefoot. The point was to toughen up the soles of our feet

13. chechen

While doing katas you train a series of moves indeed, but HOW you will manage them in a fight is a whole different story, you may use only one or two moves, you may mix different moves from different katas, for max efficiency in combat.
    Its like a big bunch of single moves, that are easier to memorise cause you learn them in a choreography form, and then you pick and choose what you want to use in a fight.

Remember enter the dragon ? Remember how Bruce Lee was owning multiple opponents? Recall his swift movement, adapted to respond to certain threats.
    You think how did one learns such things ?
    Through katas and sparrings.
    And yeah I know that its just a movie, but its quite well made.

14. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:rofl:

"sparrings"

15. chechen

I have fought against many grapplers, Judo and Jujitsu and whenever they came at me it two or three moves and I would stop my hand short of some critical points with the words "You are dead." However, as many have already pointed out, its best to know both. And no, throwing a punch or kick does not expose you if you actually throw it right.

16. chechen

"Death strikes" do exist. They are based on science and biology.

For instance, a strong strike to the inner thigh can black a person out, because it disrupts a major artery there. A stronger strike to the thigh can cause permanent brain damage and or death.

A simple strike that can kill a person after the fight is a powerful strike to the floating rib. Once its broken, keep hitting that area and the rib will be driven into the lung, puncturing it, and (possibly) eventually leading to death.

17. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:rofl:

Who posted this?

18. chechen

Well see, I was hanging out with this group, and one guy says, "Hey, I bet <person x> could beat Paladin in a fight." To which I snorted derisively, and naturally the matter had to be settled. I bet $50 on myself, we wrapped hand towels around our hands and went at it. Not quite bare knuckle, but really no better than tape wrapping. I had him on the ropes with a series of right hooks to the temple and ear, when he threw a desperate hook that I tried to pull my head out of the way of, but only succeeded in pulling back far enough to take it on the side of the nose, snapping my nose completely to the side and starting a rather daunting flow of blood, but mostly just pissing me off. I didn't make the mistake of lowering my guard again after that... I was just overconfident because I was doing so well... I started throwing left uppercuts in conjunction with my right hooks until he conceded defeat and then I reached up, popped my nose back into place (Which did hurt a little... Mostly just felt really strange) and got a q-tip, and coated the inside of my nose with vaseline to stop the bleeding.

I really don't feel pain when I'm in that fight headspace... I shredded my hand punching a rough stucco wall once (Blowing off steam when I was really annoyed) and didn't realize it until the wall started turning red under my punches.

19. chechen

20. chechen

to be more precise, ground fighting and protracted holds of the sort you see in BJJ are only useful against a single opponent. Full body throws are a form of grappling and are handy against groups (You throw opponent A towards opponents B and C and knock them all on their asses at once).

21. chechen

Its wierd but when i am threatened i drop into a stance similar to the Monkey form from the Shaolin Martial arts, now this might be just my imagination but could anyone give me a video of an actual shaolin monk practicing the Monkey Form?
    Would be quite interesting and very wierd for me to know such an advanced martial art form without even studying it(by know i mean basics and btw i do know it takes years if not decades to master such a form).

22. chechen

hahah i can keep going.. the best part is, that these guys are serious

23. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:bowrofl: please do. It almost makes me want to buy a sub just for that thread.

edit: nevermind, i see its relicnews not offtopic. This will be a fun read.

24. chechen

no no, thats from a gaming forum.. you can check out the original thread here:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=98491

theres a new one going on right now too.. but i gave up because they get too ridiculous

25. chechen

I can't remember if I was still a white belt or if I'd gotten my purple when I realized it actually was worth something... See, one of the others in the class brought his friend in to observe... And the guy was being a total ass. He kept going up to people and saying, "Can you block this?!" whilst throwing a punch, which he naturally pulled up short and made only light contact with. He was doing it to red belts. I think he had a death wish. Although honestly, it was one particular green belt with a bad temper who I thought was going to murder him. Anyway, he got lucky and nobody pulped him, but EVERYONE in the dojang was pissed.

So, I had just changed back into my street clothes (But was barefoot still, my shoes were outside), and was walking down the hallway from the bathroom back to the main room, and I see him coming the other direction.

Oh hell, I think, he's going to do it again. I decided I wasn't going to just ignore it. I figured I might end up looking like an idiot, after all, I was just a beginner, but I'd try to block and counter.

So I start on a mental exercise that our master had impressed on us (Or was it his instructor? I can't remember). Anyway, point was, I watched his steps, predicted the position we would be in, which hand he would attack with, what angle it would come in from, where I would be, what options would be available to me, and what must have been 100 different scenarios ran through my head from start to finish in the 3 or 4 seconds before he reached me.

He threw his punch, I caught his wrist, twisted his arm in such a way as to force him to bend forward, tapped his instep, the inside of his knee, and his crotch, with the ball of my foot, his elbow and the back of his neck with my other hand, and just kept walking. I didn't even break stride noticably.

I didn't say anything, I don't think. I might have said "Yes.", but I can't remember for sure. But I didn't say anything else, didn't gloat, didn't even look at him as I walked away. It was just a casual action, and, I felt, a compassionate warning, because he really could get hurt badly if he kept pissing people off like that.

Funny thing was it was easy. Kind of dispelled my doubts about my training, but it also taught me I was in the wrong art. I mean, we were learning those things, but those kinds of locks and counters are secondary in Tang Soo Do, and the truth is, they're the maneuvers most suited to my mind, body, and temperament. I'm much better at calmly countering than explosively attacking.

So I went off into "softer" arts. Aiki, Shaolin, Tai Chi... There are those who say those things aren't effective, but they are. I have a few experiences to prove it. It just depends on your nature, no one art is right for everyone, and there is no best art, only what works best for you.

And that's my story