GUN Mailing firearms to yourself

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Mar 2, 2008.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I've been looking at moving out of state and was curious if there was a curious on the legalities of mailing a firearm to yourself. I'd obviously have to make the drive initially because I would need a car for my job, but I'd rather not make the cross country (MI to CO) trek with guns in the car because I don't have a CCW permit and I don't feel like putting them all in the trunk and dealing with the police when I'm pulled over (which is bound to happen)

I know normally you need to ship to an FFL, but what if you're actually shipping them to yourself? I've only shipped one gun and it was sent to the guys local dealer after I received papers, so I haven't looked into it much. Figured someone may know.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Perfectly legal. Non-ffl's can't send handguns through US mail. Box 'em up, send 'em to yourself UPS and go for it. Personally I'd put them in the car and travel under the protection of FOPA but ymmv.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I like the idea of having them, but the odds of needing them vs. me speeding and getting pulled over are quite skewed towards one side...

To be honest, I've considered getting my CCW just to make transporting them easier to/from ranges as well as if I go on a trip or move like this. I don't feel the need (yet) to carry a handgun on my at all times, but I wouldn't mind having one in the car with me as opposed to the trunk if I had to pick.

4. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

I dont understand why its such a big deal to drive them? Put them in your trunk unloaded and theres nothing the police can hassle you for...

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

There's nothing they should hassle me for but the odds are against that if I'm caught speeding with guns in the car, legal or not. And there's 0% chance I don't speed between Michigan and Colorado.

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I moved from MD to Utah at one point and carried all my guns with me. I just put them in a locked case in the trunk and drove out. They arent loaded, so there is no problem with them being "concealed."

You dont even need to say anything to a cop that might pull you over. Why would you. If they are boxed up in the trunk, just let them be, do you often get your entire vehicle searched when you're pulled over? You arent required to tell him they are in the car since you arent carrying them concealed.

Hell, I even brought them into my hotel room at night on the road cause I didnt want them left in the car.

I think you're making too big a deal over driving them. Unless you plan on getting a reckless driving citation or something.

7. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

So dont mention the guns :dunno: unless your getting searched for some reason it shouldnt even come up

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its not a question at all of needing them, and a concealed carry license really wouldn't be a huge help to you on a cross country drive anyway because of varying local laws and individual state requirements on the transportation of long guns regardless of ccw status. My comments are just basede more on value. Likely your guns are some of the most compact yet valuable items you own. There's no way to get them there any more safely than in your possession. Follow FOPA's guidelines for unloaded and in a case in the trunk with ammo in a seperate container or unloaded and in a locked case if you have a hatchback/suv. I've been pulled over several times and drive a ton of miles but have yet to be asked for a search of my car. If you did ask, just decline. Even if the search happened, just be sure you're following the fopa guidelines. Don't feel like you're a criminal just for owning guns and that you can't even transport them.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/926A.html
    Its federal law, under it you can drive through chicago and DC with your scariest assault weapons and handguns as long as they're legal at both ends of your journey and stored properly.

9. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Of all the times i've been pulled over, only once have I been asked if I had any weapons in the car.

10. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Ditto. Coincidentally it was one of the times I had it with me though. It was in a case in the trunk and I was out of ammo coming back from shooting anyhow. I obviously wouldn't travel any other way.

Good point about being some of my more expensive personal possessions though. And you're right, even with a CCW I'd get in no more trouble for having them anywhere as if they were in the trunk. I suppose I will reconsider.

I've never had a problem with police. And if/when I've been pulled over with guns legally stored in the trunk, I do tell them right away. It a) makes me look better that I'm being honest and b) leaves them no room to give me problems for them going forward with their stop. Any of the times I've been stopped with them it actually turned into us talking about guns and them thanking me and letting me off entirely. I've had my car searched once and even then all I had was a knife, which I told them about. That turned into me talking to the guys back up about fantasy football, haha.

I will reconsider how I move them though. I planned on putting stuff like PC's and laptops and other smaller expensive stuff with me in the car... no reason guns should be different.

11. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

put the trunk, and never lie when they ask if you have a weapon, thats about retarded if someone would lie about it...

12. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Peacable journey laws state that as long as they're unloaded and not in the "passenger compartment", then you should have no problems with various state laws if you are transitioning through a state.

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You're bound to be pulled over? Who the fuck are you, Sammy Hagar? :rofl:

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Correct. Put them unloaded and open breach in a locked container in the trunk and you will be fine.

15. bacca

bacca Guns, Pussy, Paintball, Cars- What theres more in

I drive from Ca to ID with about 15 firearms in the back of my Bronco. The Four years later did the rev trip with about 25 firearms in my RX-7. No problems

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

17. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

RyeLou can't drive 55.