GUN Mailing a complete firearm to a gunsmith question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sp00n155, Mar 22, 2009.

1. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

I want to get my 1911 fitted with Novak sites. On their site they say if you mail the entire firearm they'll site it in for you. I know I can mail it to them without dealing with an FFL, but can I have it mailed back directly to me? I do not have an FFL, obviously. There is technically no 'transfer' since I already own the pistol.

Also does anyone have any positive/negative/go-somewhere-else feedback on sending your pistol (specifically 1911) in to Novak to get sites fitted? Worth it to send the entire pistol or is just the slide sufficient?

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Afaik you can have the gun mailed directly back to you from a gunshop, gunsmith, etc.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you are the owner of the firearm you can send it directly to a FFL/gunsmith. Firearm must be sent 2nd day or next day air UPS, Fedex or other service other than USPS. It is also wise to insure the firearm both ways at least $300 value of insurance (works out about $10). Make sure you include a photocopy of your drivers licence. Make sure your drivers licence address is current as the FFL will ship back to your drivers licence address.

Again if you are the owner of the firearm the FFL may ship it directly back to you. Make sure the FFL insures the package going back to you.

The insurance means that your package gets locked in the high value cage until sort. During sort a clerk will retrieve the package and watch it get loaded for transport. At each leg of transport a clerk signs in and signs out your package. This means it is very difficult to get your package stolen.

4. sp00n155

Gracias.

Now, anyone have any input on Novak's shop? I know the sites are good; I'm asking about their installation work.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

honestly there is not much to installing sights. If did not want to do it yourself I would go to your local smith. It would probably be cheaper than the shipping and insurance both ways and you would have it done in a day. Typically it's $35-$65 to install simple sights

Secondly I doubt they are going to shoot live ammo to sight in your gun. They are either going to eyeball it, or boresight it.

If you got a hammer, a vice, some shop towels, nylon and brass punches, and some metal files you can install the sights yourself

6. sp00n155

Obviously you do not deal with 1911s very often. I'd have to mill the slide out to accept a dovetail on the front and I'd have to dovetail and "shelf" the rear for the low-mount Novak's. This is way over my head, ontop of the fact that I don't have a machine shop in my apartment. :hs:

Unfortunately I don't have a local gunsmith :wtc: On Novak's website it says they take the pistol to the range and sight it in.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well I work at a Glock shop but we do 1911 work. Did not realize your 1911 was not already dovetailed for a front sight. How would I know that? Just trying to help, guess it's not appreciated.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yar's advice is legit, and should be more than sufficient for what you are wanting to do.

1911's are hardly a secret to anyone who's been around in the gun world for more than a little while. Hell, there isn't a whole lot of things someone could reasonably want to do to a 1911 that you can't buy a jig for from Brownells. A resourceful an motivated person could certainly cut a dovetail with a file, but it probably wouldn't be worth their time/money. I think Yar was just using that as a point to illustrate that it is hardly voodoo magic.

I've heard nothing but good about Novak's shop, but I personally wouldn't pay that kind of money for a simple sight install. This coming from a guy who knew absolutely nothing about machine tools, and melted in a mini-dot into a slide in a couple hours with no real plans/prints/etc. Personally, I'd find a machine shop that had some downtime (likely easy to do in this economy) and flip them a 50 for their time.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

re-read the thread. If you just send the slide you do not need to go through all the above hassle. The only time you have to follow the above is if you send a complete firearm or the frame or receiver (part with the serial number). You can send the slide postal mail or ups ground through I would still insure it.

Looking at novaks installation prices they are not cheap but not terrible. Pricing seemed just for the rear sight, the front sight will probably be extra. If you just sent the slide then there is no way they can sight it in with live fire. It will be boresighted at best.

If you send in a whole gun they might want you to send ammo too. Would not be much use to sight it in if using different ammo. I can't imagine they would supply the ammo, that gets expensive fast. With how busy everyone in the industry is I can't imagine they have time to spare to go to the range to sight in guns. We do so but only on full builds. This is either with customer supplied ammo or we bill the customer for the ammo and give them our load data (usually for 9 major).

I don't know seems like a lot of expense and trouble for fixed sights. For that money I would go with adjustable bomars.