GUN Mags.... Stored loaded or unloaded?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spagina, Nov 3, 2009.

1. spagina

spagina Active Member

I hear all sides of this story. Keep unloaded, store fully loaded, store loaded minus 2 rounds of capacity, store metal mags full, don't store plastic loaded at all, don't store more than a year loaded. How about some help? I would like to store all mags loaded, but if they are going to malfunction by doing so, why?

Just getting some 33 round Glock mags in and that brought the question up again. 10/22 poly, Remington 597 poly, Glock, AK,...

Thanks,

2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

I believe PMAgs and the like haven't been around long enough to determine *longterm* effects...

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

springs have been around for quite a while and thats the only thing that matters :hsugh:

like lazy said, its the compression and release that wears down springs.

4. spagina

spagina Active Member

I understand spring compression, but the pressure on the feed lips, and the potential distortion in long term storage is what I am concerned about.

5. copeland

copeland smarter than you

I've also read concerns over the durability of magazine lips in polymer...:hsd:

6. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Hence the nifty covers that are included with P- and Emags, with a ridge to push down the top round slightly if the magazine is loaded, and thereby reduce pressure on the feed lips and obviate the likelihood of feed lip spread.

Personally, my duty and SD pistol mags are stored loaded (G22 and 1911, respectively) and no problems yet. Still on first set of mags for both.

7. spagina

spagina Active Member

Unfortunately, not available for all mag types, thus the question. I have some early poly mags (AR-7) that split at the upper seam, or the feed lips broke off after long term storage (loaded or unloaded).

8. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Just load them. Magazines are a disposable item with a finite life. They don't do you any good unloaded. If you are rocking pmags and you want to store them for 20 years then put the covers on them, otherwise don't worry about it. Compression/decompression from loading, bolts smashing over them, and dropping them on concrete is what causes feed lip creep and damage.

The reason for downloading 2 is because when you do a tac reload with a round already in the chamber/bolt forward you may not always get the mag completely locked in. Downloading 2 helps to prevent this.

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

had my taurus the longest. i've loaded/unloaded those mags so many times. the mags would sit loaded for a month, then i'd unload. they still feel pretty strong after a few years.

and like said, if they wear out buy more. they aren't that expensive

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

They will be fine. Maga see a lot more stress stripping the round off and the next round slamming up into the feed lips then the constant pressure of a fully loaded mag.

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

in regards to feed lips it is the pounding of the next round feeding up during rapid firing that is more stressfull than keeping the mag constantly loaded. While it might not be true for every mag as there maybe exceptions, most mag designs are fine to leave constantly loaded.

12. This.

13. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i keep my mags loaded for a couple handguns that i have around for home defense situations but for the ones i don't do anything with except for going to the range i don't keep em loaded. if a mag wears out i'll just buy a new one i guess. the only real issue i've had with mags going to hell on me was with my beretta 96 but that was due to them being junk to begin with not keeping them loaded

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

loaded

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

they're probably shitty mags :dunno: regardless, mags are so cheap these days it doesnt matter.

16. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

I keep a few loaded for my HD gun the rest I just leave unloaded. More because I dont care to sit for hours to load them all up than really being worried about wearing them out though.

17. johnson

johnson New Member

PMAGS are downloaded to 28, CMC PowerMags for the 1911 are downloaded to 7 because they are hard to load on a closed bolt.

18. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Some mags allow you to over-compress the springs, this will damage them if left that way for any period of time, or if they're repeatedly over-compressed many times.

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

what is overcompressed though? This thread would contradict your post, in theory.

20. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Compressing a spring beyond its limit.

21. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

this.
    Most mags have followers that prevent you from over-compressing the springs.
    1911 mags are a good example of ones that don't, though. The normal mags are designed for 7 rounds, and some companies make mags that are the same length that hold 8 rounds. SOME (not all) of these mags over-compress the springs.

22. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

when in doubt, keep a revolver as your HD gun

no spring problems there

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

when in doubt buy new springs or mags.

24. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i choose double barrel shotty

25. Limiting yourself to 2 shots, with no hope of a rapid reload...