GUN Magpul Dynamics: More awesome than expected

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChipOnShoulder, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Finished the first day of my Magpul Dynamics class woot woot!

Was definitely star struck when Travis Haley and Chris Costa got out of their rented Dodge Challenger at 7:30 in the morning. I got up at 3:30 to drive down to Portland in time.

Travis Haley is the more talkative one, and with lots of experience in actually smoking people. Previous 3 employers not counting himself: Blackwater, CIA, US Marine Corps. Chris Costa is a lot more intense, but doesn't talk much about smoking people, so I just assume he's more of trainer type. He softens his intensity with lots and lots of joking around.

The dynamic duo promised the first day was going to be fundamentals, and re-iterated that tier 1 high speed operators and top ranked competitive shooters are good shooters because they have strong fundamentals, etc. Same rhetoric I've heard from a grand master/retired police officer, and it makes sense. Travis and Chris have trained the best of the best, and sad sack civilians alike, and in our class we had young veterans/sheriff deputies, as well as sad sack civilians who had little to no experience with weapons. Luckily, no one particularly sucked.

The Oregon summer was a pretty tough environment. I am a smart guy: I'm always fighting the uphill battle to hydrate, since i've taken personal fitness a lot more seriously in the last year or so. As you all know, hydration is a long process: you can't drink 5 gallons the day before and expect to get hydrated. Drank about 2 gallons of water during the day. The dynamic duo was talking about how the Sacremento class a few weeks back was hitting 119 degrees, lol. Some people who had slacked on personal fitness and hydration before were definitely feeling it after countless repititions of basic drills.

First day of Carbine 1 is nothing particularly exciting, most just basic weapon's technique. The new thing I learned is to have my thumb way high on the bore, with my elbow up high. It doesn't feel or look natural, but it truly does yield better results when firing carbines. Shooting 4+ round strings, I noted that this technique (which you see Costa using in the DVDs) definitely makes recoil control a LOT easier. You generally don't notice the importance of recoil control when firing only 2-3 rounds... 4-5 round strings though, improperly managed recoil adds up. When I regressed back to my old standard grip with my elbow down low, definitely saw the red dot jump around a lot more. I kept wanting to try this technique, but kept forgetting, so I spent pretty much the whole day comparing techniques side to side. Funny how the placement of one's elbow makes a huge difference in recoil mitigation.

2nd day is more Carbine techniques, a short Handgun class, and then Handgun + Carbine drills. No idea was the 3rd day entails just yet.

Getting compliments on performance from Travis and Chris is a big ego booster. My rifle has been flawless, and i've managed to not fuck up yet! There are a few people with gun smith assembled franken guns, and the are having constant issues. I guess you could say I don't like the idea of gas blocks that aren't pinned or rocksetted/staked.

There are some really young shooters with us, but they are doing quite well (18 year old white kids look so old!)

We spent about an hour after lunch in lecture talking about mindset, biology, and psychology in regards to life/death scenarios and killing. Travis Haley is not only a badass, he's also a gentleman and scholar. Explained a lot of the biological facts that guide his, and other top tier weapons instructor's philosophies and techniques. Also, when he discussed the fallacy of "other" training cadres, I definitely recognized specific groups. :mamoru: Since he didn't name names, i'll do the courteous thing and not name any names myself.

Cliffs: I'm at a Magpul class, i'm having fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really, really glad I brought the gloves. The rifle got uncomfortably hot VERY quickly.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Sweet! Good write-up. I look forward to more updates, glad you're having a good time, I know I would be if I was in the class :big grin:

3. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Operator status....achieved?

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Keep this shit update, looks like a good time.

What kind of failures were you seeing? Peoples gas blocks and such really coming loose?

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sounds fun, well other than the weather. As hot as the nw has been lately I'm certain I'd be long since dead from heat stroke out playing :big grin:

6. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

so those are the only 2 who do the classes? i woulda thought they'd have different instructors for different part of the country :dunno:

quality control i guess

7. ChipOnShoulder

Nope.

Learning weapons techniques isn't close to enough to achieving operator status.

30 years combined experience in military high speed circles doesn't get transferred in 3 days. Also, the specifically mentioned that we won't be learning anything about tactics.

Tactics, Strategy, Technique. All these things are needed for operator status.

[​IMG]

8. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

outstanding! looking forward to more updates.

ETA: so does everybody have pimped out tacticool carbines, or are there some bare bones rifles?

9. ChipOnShoulder

Yup.

One guy is fucked. He has a Noveske KX3 welded onto a barrel with a full length DD LITE rail. He and his brother both had issues, and they both had gas blocks that was installed by the same gunsmith who said that pinning, drilling dimples, and staking allen keys was "stupid". He's got no easy access to his gas block (no one has a bench vise), so he's definitely gonna have to fall back to a backup rifle.

Well, only the brother's rifles have failed, and they've failed miserably. Constant jamming, double feeds, short stroking, etc etc. First we thought it was the mags, but Costa burned through a few mags eliminating that possibility. We're all pretty sure the gas block is the source of the problem.

No ACR action :(

ETA: There are a number of bare bones rifles (2 S&W MOE versions), even the Magpul guy's rifles are pretty basic. One guy is running a Wal-Mart C-more clone scope though, ugh. He is prob 80 pounds soaking wet, lol.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:bowdown: looks fun as fuck

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol @ haley's rifle being "pretty basic" w/ T1, IR, and a surefire brake :o

12. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Looks like fun. [​IMG]

13. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Might wanna look at your buffer also

14. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I've been kicking myself in the ass all month for not doing this :(

15. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Damn...everytime I read about the Magpul Dynamics classes it makes me want to build an AR...damn not having any money. I would totally do one of their classes if I had a gun and could afford it; assuming they would close enough to where I am. Sounds like a shit ton of fun. Keep us posted on the next couple days too

16. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

I've never actually watched the videos, how physically fit do you have to be to do this?

I'm sure you don't have to be able to run a marathon or anything, but I've seen pics from various events and there's always some fat guys attending.

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Hey, can you find out what earplugs and brand of underwear Chris Costa uses?

:mamoru:

Have fun :h5:

18. kellyclan

Rogers is doing a class in Lakeland in Dec, I may be down that way. :x:

19. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I'm glad you're having fun at your Magpul class.

20. kellyclan

Costa's got some decent POSE running form down here :eek3:

[​IMG]

21. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

22. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i wonder if there are hardcore guys in the service that think haley is a pussy and doesn't know shit

23. kellyclan

Consensus of the mil folks I talk to is that he is a respected, excellent teacher with very solid fundamentals, but some nitpick his equipment selection as being on the impractical side for fighting. (i.e; even as a civilian, if you are using your rifle, you're likely going to be reloading from a bag or vest. The BAD, while cool, increases the possibility of malfunctions and requires a change in the operation manual that most users have trained on.)

24. ChipOnShoulder

Given that Chris/Travis train the hardcore guys in the service, i don't think so. Travis also has the credentials to back his shit up. 15 years as a Force Recon Marine and with MARSOC means he's got his fair share of action under his belt. He was active duty in Iraq/Liberia and who knows where before that. He had lots of interesting stories about Liberia/Sierra Leone... those fuckers were nuts. Apparently, they all thought they had voodoo powers when they wore charms like women's underwear, wigs, and other crazy shit, and would go around hacking people up, murdering kids for fun and shit.... but if you just ripped their "charms" off they'd get in a fetal position and beg you not to kill them.

Liberians are absolutely convinced they are American, and they so revered Americans that fighting government and rebel forces would stop when a single Humvee of marines would show up, lol.

Second day of shooting today, and the weather was just as intense as yesterday, but today people were a lot smarter with hydration and sun screen application.

Did a lot more failure drills (learned lots of good techniques for simulating failures), did a quick handgun refresher, and practiced transition and communication.

Weather really, really sucked so I wasn't as mentally on the ball as before... Left my memory card in the laptop, didn't bust out the Camera when Chris started dancing the Salsa/Tango, and definitely missed the chick on the horse.

Travis was in the middle of handgun instruction when he stopped abruptly... and we all turned to see some long haired Oregon country chick ride on by the range. Costa said he'd give the girl mouth to mouth if she got hit, but he'd save the horse for Travis, :rofl:

Looking forward to finally running relays and shooting with barricades tomorrow. Overall, the class has been very good and i'm hoping to practice a lot of techniques i've learned. Would love to go to an advanced class, but i'll have to work on my skill level, and also upgrade my gear. Running just a belt has it benefits, but it definitely has its limitations as well.

As to physical fitness: we got some old guys with us, and we got slightly heavier folks, as well as underweight folks with us.

Generally though, everyone is given the freedom to shoot at their own pace. People of equal skill levels are generally hanging out and comparing with each other. You don't need to be particularly fit, but it would help A LOT with your enjoyment of the class. Also, no one wants to be "that guy" slowing everyone else down, be it whether because your rifle sucks and keeps jamming (about 1K of my reloads down the pipe, no problems!) or because you are too out of shape to go to prone, kneeling, and standing as fast as a 60 year old former Ranger.

People who were less in shape than me and also toting heavier rifles switched to their secondaries. All my rifles except for my SPR clone are built with weight in mind, ever since i went to an unofficial class with a HBAR and my left bicep neared muscle failure, lol. I was also 155 pounds at the time :mamoru:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter