GUN Mag cleaning...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ReiKo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ReiKo

ReiKo Community Smartass OT Supporter

Let's here how you do it...

Just seeing how everyone cleans their mags...

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I rarely ever clean my mag's except when I get new ones that have been dipped in a vat of cosmo or if I'm refinishing or replacing parts. I disassemble wipe down plate and follower, metal mag's I'll hose down with carb cleaner to get rid of cosmo or before refinishing. polymers ill pull a rag through that has some solevant on it.

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Depends on the mag, some are much easier than others. I can't comment on polymer mags like Glocks, because I have never owned one. Usually I detach the base, or take out the spring and follower. Then I usually just take a dry rag and clean out the majority of the deposits. I put a light coat of oil on the spring and let it air dry for just a few minutes before assembling the magazine again. I do this about every 500 rounds on my M&P and Ruger .22, I haven't put that many rounds through my 1911 yet.

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

For my 10/22 mags I just disassemble them and rub it down with hoppes no 9, lubricate any moving parts, and reassemble. :dunno: Haven't really had the need to clean any of my other mags.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Don't clean unless there's cosmo.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

In the summer I clean my Glock mags once a month since the range I shoot USPSA is basically like beach sand. I just disassemble them, run a mag brush through the body a couple of times, wipe the spring down with a towel misted with Rem-oil, and re-assemble.

7. MTech

MTech New Member

dawt.

cleaning = oils which = dust/dirt magnet which creates problems.

8. Werm

Werm Guest

I don't really clean my mags... :o

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Disassemble mag. Violate thoroughly with old toothbrush to dislodge chunky things. Cram a blue shop with a bit of CLP on it down the mag. Violate again with hand of toothbrush to get hard to reach places. Wipe with dry clean blue shop towel.

10. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I don't clean any of my rifle mags unless needed, except for if they were too oily when bought new like my AR mags.

For my P226 I like to clean them whenever they have about 200 rounds each which is every once in a while since I have 10 mags and shoot about 200-300 total.

By cleaning I mean completely disassembling. I take out the follower, spring, and base.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  11. shagwag3n

shagwag3n New Member

don't really shoot that much so usually i just wipe them down and clean the follower a bit.

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

they just get wiped down for the most part, I pay attention when loading or unloading mags if they feel like they are starting to stick because of deposits I'll tear them down and clean them.

or sometimes I tear them down just because I am bored.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

I clean my mags more than I clean my gun. Just like Sprite, I shoot USPSA and IDPA at 6 different ranges, and they are all sandy, muddy or wet and I'm dropping 3-6 mags everywhere through out the course of fire.

Most jams and FTF issues I experience can be attributed to a bad/dirty mag. When I get home I do a thorough cleaning of my mags, recalibrate my springs, recalibrate/tune my feed lips, wipe them down and store them.

Last thing you want to do is shove a dirty mag into the action of an already tight tolerance 1911/2011.

My buddies pay BIG money for "tuned" mags. 2011 mags run around $500 for 4 mags. So yeah, they take care of them better than anything else.

In some matches, I clean them after every COF, depending on conditions out.