MIL made the decision and joining the airforce

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xSteveO, May 16, 2008.

1. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

now I'm going to have to think about what choices are right for me...

Explosive Ordinance Disposal sounds like a pretty intense job and it offers a good sign on bonus, anyone know anything about the field? From what I understand it used to be dangerous, but now it's just some robots doing the work.

I was also looking at security forces, seems like a good field for me as I have always wanted to be in something law enforcement related.

air traffic controller for life after the air force. seems like I'd be guaranteed a good paying job after it's all said and done.

any experiences with fire protection?

also what about the still photographic field? I've been into photography and that would be a fun job to do

any input would be appreciated

t

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

What other kind do you know? Motion photographic? I think that's called Video. :mamoru:

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

dont go to secrity forces or you will instantly be considered a douche by the rest of the AF

4. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

what are the dangers of eod? Do you guys know anything about it?

5. effwhy_sea

effwhy_sea New Member

im gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that the explosives are one of the dangers of eod:hsugh:

6. dura

dura Guest

ask ranger about his experiences with AF EOD :rofl:

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I have worked a lot with AF and Army EOD. They both go through the same school, so they should both have the same level of training and abilities.

They don't.

Army EOD rolls up with their turret manned by a competent and qualified gunner. They integrate well with the platoon and only need to know what position in the convoy they will occupy. Their gunner understands what we mean by "cover this sector, call out any threats you see, and if you need to change your sector because of a threat call that out as well so we can cover your vacant sector." If we get hit while they are with us, we can count on them to do everything within their power to suppress fire, and pull a vehicle or soldier out of the kill zone. In fact, one particular Army EOD team can be counted on to jump out of their vehicle in a firefight, suppress the living hell out of incoming small arms fire, hook up to a disabled vehicle, and moon the bad guys before mounting back up and moving out. :rofl:

When AF EOD rolls up, they may or may not have a qualified gunner. If they have a qualified gunner he will need to be told to man his weapon. They may also need to be reminded from time to time to monitor their radio. Their gunner may or may not understand the concept of overlapping sectors, and may or may not cover his sector when told to do so. If we get hit while they are with us, we don't expect them to do anything to help get a disabled vehicle or soldier out of the kill zone. In fact we pretty much treat them as barely competent ride-alongs. They can blow shit up as good as we can, but other than that they are just along for the ride. The only reason why we bring them along is because we are restricted from blowing up anything above a specific size.

But AF EOD does have some sexy females. Yes, they do. :yum:

8. Ranger-AO

Surely you are joking.

In addition to the obvious dangers involved when your job is the Disposal of Explosives Ordnance, you are also a prime target. I don't remember how much it is, but al Queda will pay a substantial sum for a dead EOD tech. Or even more for a live one.

9. effwhy_sea

effwhy_sea New Member

just messing around:wiggle:

10. Pavester

Pavester New Member

im thinking about joing as army eod. good bad?

11. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I'm prior Security Forces. Unless you are dead set on working more hours than anyone else in the AF with the same pay and people acting like dicks to you, don't go SF. Also, I've been hearing that AF liaisons at MEPS are trying to push people into SF. Yesterday they tried their hardest to get some poor sap to join as SF. I told him to pick something he wants to do in the civilian world, so he picked Services.

12. Ranger-AO

You will enjoy the fuck out of it. Seriously. Being in EOD is like being a Combat Engineer - only without any of the regular Army bullshit. You will be treated and will act like a member of an elite profession.

13. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

On a scale of 1-10, how dangerous would you say EOD is in the airforce? what do I do when I'm not deployed? I am still considering security forces, so besides everyone being a dick to you, what's so bad about it? Any input on the fire protection field? What are some of the better type of fields for someone trying to raise a family? (safety, normal hours, etc)

14. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

DO NOT DO SECURITY FORCES, I REPEAT, DO NOT DO SECURITY FORCES. In one post I explain why, did you read it? Here's more info! FACT: SECURITY FORCES HAS THE HIGHEST SUICIDE RATE AND DIVORCE RATE IN THE USAF. FACT: SF works longer hours than most if not all Air Force jobs. Most bases run on 12 hour shifts, which are really 14 hours. You could work 3 days on, 3 days off, or some sort of Panama schedule, like 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, etc. Security Forces members must complete appointments on OFF DAYS!!! Other Air Force jobs are allowed to leave work for appointments, not SF though. Air Force bases have random days off, called "down days". If it is a down day an SF member will still be working, they are not given those days off like all other jobs.

SF members also are subject to working holidays. If you enjoy having Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc off, don't be in Security Forces. Security Forces are held to a higher standard for their uniform and such, which can be extra work on your part to make sure you look better than everyone else. Security Forces is also more strict of a job in terms of how higher ranking (E-5 up through officers) people act towards you. Leave (vacation time) is supposed to be scheduled for 6 months in advance for SF. You can schedule before that time, but don't expect to always get it. I've heard people from finance can schedule leave 1 day in advance. If you get certified to work at bases that have nukes you will only work at those bases. IT IS ALMOST 100% IMPOSSIBLE TO GET AWAY FROM NUKE BASES IF YOU ARE CERTIFIED TO WORK AT THEM. I have SF friends who have been at their bases since they enlisted, 3-4 years ago, and haven't been able to get out, even though they update their dream sheets.

I was told before I joined as SF not to do it by people who were prior service SF and I didn't listen. You don't have to listen to me, but don't complain later.

I highly suggest if you want a safe job to look up Services.

15. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

these are the reasons I'm glad I get on here and ask questions like this. Security Forces sounds so great on paper, now I understand why they do give you a bonus for it. Services would be cool while in service, but would have 0 benefit in my civilian life. I wish there was more medical related fields.

How about the airborne cryptologic linguist or the cryptologic linguist?

16. Ranger-AO

it's tough to put it on a scale like that. What kind of job would you consider a 1 and what would be a 10? :dunno:

The only time I have ever seen EOD work is when they have worked with us on our Route Clearance missions. We only have them ride along with us on less than 10% of our missions, so they don't experience most of the situations we get into. In most respects, their job is easier and less dangerous than ours. When we call them out because we have found something that we are restricted from blowing (because of the size or composition of the IED) they don't even show up until we have cordoned off the area and given them a safe bubble to work within. And even then all they do is send out their robot to take pictures and place the c4 or impulse charge.

17. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

I guess something like a seal, ranger, paratrooper a 10 and something like services being a 1

18. Ranger-AO

Then I would put EOD at a 6 on your scale.

19. Socrates

Socrates New Member

SIGN ON BONUS SIGN ON BONUS GOD KILL ME NOW

20. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's sad

21. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

what is "Services"?

22. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

They run the O & E club, the gym, dining facilities, etc.

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Who would want to join the military just to do that shit? I say pick something that you couldn't do as a civilian. Infantry, Artillery, Tanks, Aircrew, EOD, SOCOM, etc...

24. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

Ever work with any Navy EOD?

25. evan2

evan2 Guest

EOD - you will deploy a lot....
    SF - if you want to be a gate guard go for it, plus they do 6 months deployed 6 months back and so forth

Fire - not a bad gig but you dont see much real action and train like mad for some, work out a lot, 3 on 3 off usually with some kelly days just depends when

I dated a ATC chick who said her job was hard and my old roomate was ATC and said it was simple. He got out and only makes 40k, so really just depends where you are doing ATC.