MIL Made a Mistake...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by armond, Mar 28, 2008.

1. armond

armond New Member

I made a huge mistake at MEPS... I failed to report that I had a broken ankle back in 2004. I did this knowingly and I won't say it was all because of my recruiter. Yes, he did tell me that the answer is "no," but in the end, it is ultimately my decision... I pulled the trigger and gave the answer "no."

So now, after a night of restless sleep, I realized that telling a lie is just not me.

So current status, I am not in the DEP program as of right now. My paperwork must go forward to the SG, but does not do so for another 9 business days. I was curious, if anyone on OT knows if it is too late to amend my paperwork?

I plan to take full responsibility for my choices and let them know. In truth, it was all because I am so ready to join and the broken ankle was going to be "another thing for the SG to look at, including your age, and your prior separation." Yes my recruiter said that to me. So I took it to heart, I want to join the Air Force so bad, I momentarily placed my values behind my desires.

So once again, does anyone know if I can amend. I have signed no contract, and have not even been sworn in. :hs:

2. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I really dont understand why this matters.. I dont think even meps gives a shit.. the only thing you would be doing is possibly getting problems..

They aren't going to salute you and give you a medal for telling them.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Ugh... So much cleaner to do it right the first time. I don't know what to tell you.

4. armond

armond New Member

Issue is, that if something comes up in the future that would cause there to be some type of check on my previous med history, they could find out about it. And I would rather not deal with it that way.

I mean, if I were to get injured doing something, and my leg were to be given an X-Ray, they would see the healed bones. Wouldnt that give them reason to look deep into my med history?

5. Ranger-AO

Probably if it happened during basic training or tech school. Once you get to your first duty base I doubt if a broken bone would be cause for a medical background check.

6. armond

armond New Member

Ok, so you are saying that if I had no issues during Basic/Tech, then there would probably be no cause for any type of med investigation? But if I were to be injured post grad from Basic/Tech, they wouldn't even think to look for that kind of info?

7. armond

armond New Member

It isn't about MEPS caring, it is about future possible incidents causing them to question my past med history. And them looking/finding my previous admittance to an emergency room and getting care for a broken ankle.

And I am in no way trying to get a medal. I understand there was sarcasm there from you, but seriously, what for?

8. Ranger-AO

That's what I'm saying.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the military medical profession. I base this off of my years as a military brat, my years of active duty air force, and my years of reserve/national guard.

9. armond

armond New Member

Ya, prob gonna forget about it. BTW, I was 22 when I broke it, and now am 26, dunno if the dumb kid thing will fly LOL.

Thanks Ranger. Koby, thanks for your crude but up front response LOL

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I will tell you, as I now have the wonderful duty of being my squadron security manager, that they do in fact perform a medical background check when processing security clearances.

Just something you might want to think about.

11. armond

armond New Member

And what happens if found you failed to mention some type of broken ankle?

12. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

honestly, just keep your mouth shut. if you don't you'll have alot of problems. if your ankle is fine, don't say shit, and get over it.

13. shiba

shiba Active Member

just keep your mouth shut. If you do injure it again, it'll be on the army's dime plus it will boost up your disability.

14. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I wouldnt worry about, unless it something that would keep you from being able to join otherwise its not a big deal

15. armond

armond New Member

Really wondering this man's opinion because he does the digging.

Everyone:

But my paperwork has to go the SG first. For approval due to my previous lung incident. I am not even in the DEP program yet, so I was thinking of waiting till my paperwork comes back from the SG with whether he/she approves me due to my previous lung condition before I disclose my ankle. I would disclose before signing the last paperwork/before swearing in.

16. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i have been cleared TS and noone said anything about my broken shoulder that i did not mention when i joined :noes:

17. focus.lost

focus.lost 日本語

I've been to psychiatrists and had back problems before the Marine Corps and I didn't say shit.

4 years later I'm about to EAS with an honorable discharge.

But thats just me.

18. Ranger-AO

Well there you go. Tell your recruiter that you need to go back to MEPS to correct something on your medical statement. He will probably try to talk you out of it, but tell him this is what you want to do and find out when he is taking his next batch of recruits and get him to save you a seat.

19. Ranger-AO

You also don't have a top secret clearance. :hsugh:

20. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

he doesn't need one, if you've done what he has, you should have a top secret clearence, but the government doesn't work that way anymore. you should know that. we should all have top secret clearences, from what we have done already, nevermind what his job is now. (which should also give him a top secret clearance)

21. focus.lost

focus.lost 日本語

If you are just referring to a security clearance, yes I do. But a TOP secret?

22. Ranger-AO

I'm saying that you don't have a top secret security clearance.

23. Ranger-AO

bullshit. you get a top secret clearance when you need one. You can be given a temporary clearance for specific missions or durations when the needs of the mission dictate, but it has to be documented and signed off on. If his job required him to have one he would have one. If he was given a conditional TS clearance, it isn't worth shit when he leaves the military because it isn't real and he hasn't gone through the background check for it.

Stop sucking each other's dick. And don't bullshit on this forum. Take that shit to the main forum.

24. armond

armond New Member

I talked to him about it the other day, he said, "this is your life, you do what you want to do., I am not going to convince you otherwise, we will do it the way you want." He was supportive on my stance and is willing to get me there. But my paperwork is at the SG's office, so I have to wait till it comes back. If it comes back approved, he said I will most likely just have to have another interview with the Doc about my ankle. I did pass all requirements in the physical with flying colors.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  25. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I will say I have NEVER seen anyone denied a clearance due to the medical background check. But they do perform one, and I may just be the lucky one who doesn't get the red flags in the medical records. Most of my guys get flagged for criminal records, financial irresponsibility, etc. But, I would definitely have it put in your record. It's not going to prevent you from joining, hell, I had 2 reconstructive surgeries on my left knee and the AF let me in without a waiver, but it will definitely give you a little peace of mind when they do your background checks.