Mactel and video card questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by violator, Aug 5, 2005.

1. violator

violator New Member

Earlier I was thinking how likely would it be for Mactel computers to be able to use PC video cards? I sucks having to pay more for a Mac video card, and also having less of a selection than there is for PCs.

Why are Mac and PC video cards incompatible with each other in the first place? Is it the OS?

Hopefully if the Mactels when officially released, can still boot Windows AND use PC video cards... well, that'd just be friggen awesome :cool:

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

this only has a little bit to do with your post, but i figured i'd put it in here instead of making a new thread. When the x86 macs come out, will they be able to play hl2? or will it be ported to the new macs?

3. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

thread officialy hijacked.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

It has little to nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with the OS. That's why you can buy many PC cards on the market today and run a program to flash the PC card to work on a Mac. This has been possible for years (since Macs started using PCI video cards, and now AGP video cards). I have an old 3Dfx Voodoo 3 card in my G4 that was flashed in this manner nearly five years ago.