A&P MACRO crew - accessory question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dbman96, Apr 20, 2005.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Hey, I was about to pick up a set of extension tubes to stretch the closeup ability of my D70 kit lens, but after talking to my dad (who got me into photography and has been doing this a lot longer than I have) he suggested I get a set of closeup filters instead. From what he said, the filters require less exposure compensation or something, but I wasn't sure about which option would preserve my autofocus or metering ability, etc. I was honestly a bit doped up on valium when i had the conversation with him (he picked me up from dental surgery because I couldn't drive) so I don't remember exactly what he said regarding the benefits of each option.

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

I dont know why would you use Autofocus for macro unless your eye's are out there.

3. Ingen

Ingen New Member

because autofocus is easier? I use it to keep the dang heavy closeup filters from changing the focus on my lens (yeah... rotating front barrel, heavy glass, cheap lens). I like the filters but they do distort just a little I guess. You'd need much light for the tubes, but at the same time they maintain your depth of field better.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

tubes don't degrade image quality, filters can. and tubes are generally cheeper

5. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

Tubes are a better choice IMHO. I'm not familiar with Nikon, but I don't think AF works with tubes. I think the problem with some filters is that they can add chromatic aberation. Digital sensors seem to be more sensitve (especailly higher rez chips) to this (as well as a fall off in sharpness) than film. I done some testing with Canon L lenses on the 10D, 20D and D1s. It would seem the 'better' the chip, the higher the sensitivity. Perhaps you could rent the tubes and test them for yourself. Some places let you apply the rental fee to the purchase price if you like them.

6. CRC

CRC New Member

what are tubes and how do they work?

7. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

i use a canon 12mm tube and its great...it doesnt really lose too much light and i feel like i can focus pretty damn close with a 50mm 1.8

here is an example

[​IMG]

that flower is a little more than an inch in diameter

8. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

9. sony

sony Active Member

10. Ingen

Ingen New Member

My box of filters only cost about 40 dollars. By comparison, the tubes would cost something like 120, I think. On the bright side, if I'd gotten the tubes they'd work with any lenses *shrugs*

11. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I don't really NEED autofocus per se, I was just curious about the dis/advantages of each choice. Sounds like for image quality the tubes are a better alternative overall.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

Buy 77mm filters and step down rings, only need 1 set that way.

The good close up filters (ie 500D) are expensive, more so than the tubes

13. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

tubes are cheap as hell on ebay. i got mine for like $7? those accordian things are probably the best though.