Machines

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by smokie700, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I was reading the archives and it reccomends to not use machines. I have just started to workout and do not have a spot for free weights (cept for my wife). so my question is .... Can I start using machines while I'm going to the process of getting acclimated to working out? If so how long should I continue on machines before I should start trying to wein myself off of them? Finally I know i would have to lower weight on free weights if i use them, how would this affect my progress? (Scared if I use free weights that I will not be able to use more weight because of lack of a good spotter) Thanks for any advice

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Machines are fine to target specific muscle groups. You'll definitely get a good chest workout on a machine, same with biceps and triceps.. the problem is that you're targetting just one muscle at a time, and the key to large muscle growth is to ensure that the muscles used to stabilize the larger muscles get a workout as well. when you use freeweights, these 'stabilizing' muscles are utilized and recruited, this isnt the case when on machines. so using free weights is better, but using machines is not useless.

3. smokie700

Could I do something like keep on machines to help increase the weight I'm lifting but use free weight (with lower weight) to help the stabilizing muscles. The biggest thing I'm worried about is that I will not be able to maximaze my lifting on free weights due to lack of spotter. It feeels like on machines I can get to muscle failure without need a spotter.

4. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

What lifts, exactly, are you worried about not having a spotter for?

5. smokie700

Incline chest,bench press and military press, also its not so much the no spotter thing that bothers me its not lifting enough weight to get the most from it

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  6. khari

khari Guest

Start with free weights. You're just getting started, so you're not going to be using enough weight to seriously hurt yourself if you fail on, say, bench.

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

use dumbells instead of a barbell, then ya dont need a spot just dump them if your in over your head

8. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

ask your wife to spot you then or ask someone else in the gym around you

don't waste your time with machines

9. smokie700

Yeah I know i should have her spot me but I'm already skinny and out of shape. I just have this mental image of a guy only benching 100lbs (me) while a 5'1 asian girl(wife) spots.

10. SteveO

SteveO Guest

Mike, that was probably the best post you have ever made

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

it's because i'm a muhfuckin genius

12. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Well you wont push anymore weight on a machine than you will with free weights. Just because it says you're benching 130 lbs on a machine doesnt mean shit.. Grab some 30 lb dumbbells and get to work.

13. smokie700

Well yesterday I lifted free weights while the wife spotted. I did notice a difference. I picked up the same weight but exerted more trying to keep the bar steady. So I'm gonna start using the bench a lot more. Dumbells still have me nervous, I just don't know enough about them to do good exercises and do more good than harm. But I'm reading and learning.

14. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

use db's, not the barbell.. You'll use even more stabilizing muscles with the dumbbells, as well as it being safer.. you'll also work more unilaterally so your dominant side wont have to make up for your weak side and they can grow at the same rate..

if you have any questions on dumbbell movements, just ask.

you can IM me @ mikefearz

15. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

should palms be facing each other or facing away from you for the press? i've heard mixed ideas on which to use :dunno:

16. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

facing towards each other is going to isolate the triceps more, away from you will help target the chest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.