MMA Machida discusses Thiago, Rampage/Wandy, Rashad, etc.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.tatame.com/2009/01/07/Lyoto-Machida

Getting ready to face Thiago Silva at UFC 94, Lyoto Machida keeps training toughly at Belém, Brazil, for the challenge of undefeated, which promises to shake Las Vegas on January 31st. In an exclusive interview to TATAME, the fighter talked about his preparation, commented the interview that Dana White, president of the UFC, points the Brazilian as the future best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, the chance for the belt and the defeats of Wanderlei Silva and Rodrigo "Minotauro", also speaking about the Rashad Evans’ victory at UFC 92, stealing Forrest Griffin’s title.

How is the preparation for the fight against Thiago Silva?

I'm training for this fight for a long time, I’m in the 16th week of training, so now I'm already in the final straight of the training, making the replenishment of energy, technical part... I’m with my father and my brother, and my fitness coach, who are helping me a lot here in straight final. I’m making a strategy for the fight too...

You have already started to worry about the issue of weight?

I’m with 213 pounds, which is my normal weight and, when it gets to the time of the fight, I’ll go to the United States with about 209 pounds, and lose the rest to the fight and then recover it. I'm familiar with it, I train in this weight and lost it there.

What are you training of special to him?

I'm training a lot my specialty first, the stand up game, my Karate, I’ve been focusing in this a lot, also the takedown part and the ground game. I do the complete training, but I prioritize what I have better, my strongest weapon, stand up fight. We always make a study of the opponent, I do this for about three months, seeing how he is, where he works, so I can beat up on these things not being surprised.

Recently, Dana White gave an interview and said you have everything to be the best fighter pound for pound, in the future. What do you think of that?

I’m very honored to receive this compliment from Dana White, who isn’t just an owner or promoter of an event, he understands the fight and more or less where each one wants to get, where is mistaking, what's missing, and I’ll strive to reach his expectations and my fans. I think anyone would be honored and happy to receive this compliment, but I’ll work with humility to be better and don’t be thinking that I’m the best. I don’t think anything like that. Everyone has their stage, I'm getting better at every fight, training a lot, gaining confidence and I think this is important for my career.

If you win Thiago, do you believe that will win the chance for the belt?

Ithink that if I don’t win the chance, I’ll be very close. The category is getting harder every day, the fighting are strong, then I believe that, after that, if I won’t be a candidate for the belt... I’ll train more and I think it will even be good, because I’ll get more fights and get there more rounded... I think I deserve a chance to dispute the belt, but it’s a decision of the event and I’m calm about that. My time will come.

What did you think of the fight between Wanderlei Silva and Quinton Jackson?

In every fight, anything can happen. I thought Wanderlei was the favorite, even because he had already beaten him twice, but every day the MMA grows in popularity and technically. Comparing, six years ago everything was very different, today is more strategic, if you make a little mistake you can lose the fight. The Americans are getting better, everybody wants their place in the sun, so what happened was this. Quinton got a strategy that fitted better that day, but I’m not saying he is better. As the Minotauro... That day Frank Mir was better, but Minotauro is able to turn things around, is young and tomorrow can be better than them and that's my vision. The MMA is growing so much that one loses today, the other wins tomorrow, everyone is studying and you cannot make mistakes.

After the fight, Dana White spoke about the possibility of "Rampage" fight for the belt. Do you agree with that?

I really thought it would happen, Quinton is very popular, is an ex-champion, and every guy that already had the belt has an bigger luggage, such as Wanderlei, if he had passed Quinton, I recognize that he could go to the belt directly. I'm still growing, building my way, and after I become the champion, all right, I’ll be at another level they already are. Perhaps for what he has already done and because of his popularity, he really deserved, but I'm training, living day to day, doing what I like... I believe my time will come. I'm not worried whether it will be today or tomorrow, just know that I’ll have a chance to get this belt.

Where you already expecting a victory of Rashad Evans on Forrest Griffin?

I thought that Forrest would win, but, as always, every fight have two sides and Rashad is a tough guy, created right a strategy, know the right time and, every guy like that becomes dangerous, calls you to his game... It was what he did, waited, waited and was even worse in the fight, but the chance appeared and he didn’t lose it, ended the fight. I think Forrest has more resistance, even more technical on foot, but Rashad is a strategist and this counts a lot today.

What is the way to beat him?

Look, I think Rashad is a complete guy, has the wrestling as a background, but I see some flaws in his game, although I’m not worried with him now. My focus is Thiago. I look, but I don’t get much information of the opponents that I’m not focused, but I see some holes in his game (Rashad), but I prefer not to think yet, he is not the one for now.

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

nice copy/paste skills. :ugh:

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

you try copying and pasting from that site :hsugh:

4. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Better than your weight cutting skills!

5. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

:Owned:

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

you missed his first effort before his edit.
    but either way, :rofl: :love:

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

bad ass

8. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

agree

:h5:

9. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

im actually more excited on this fight vs on Penn & GSP.