MMA MacDonald, Loiseau, Day cut from UFC

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by EG6, May 5, 2009.

1. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=277615

TORONTO - Middleweights Jason (The Athlete) MacDonald and David (The Crow) Loiseau, two of the most experienced Canadian fighters in the UFC, have been cut by the mixed martial arts organization.

Fellow Canadian 185-pounder Jason (Dooms) Day has also been released, the UFC confirmed Tuesday. Having absorbed some fighters from World Extreme Cagefighting, which has shut down weight classes from welterweight on up, the UFC finds itself flush with fighters and looking to cut numbers.

MacDonald and Loiseau have 18 fights in the Octagon between them. Loiseau's UFC career dates back to UFC 42 in April 2003.

"I received an e-mail Saturday from the UFC, from their legal department, saying 'my services were no longer needed' and 'my contract has been terminated,' MacDonald wrote in his blog.

"It was one of those form letters and at the bottom it said 'this is in large part due to your loss in the UFC.' I'm obviously very disappointed. But I'm not at all angry with the UFC. I'm well aware of the fact that I'm paid to perform. And the reality is three of the past four fights, I've lost."

MacDonald, 33, fought 10 times in the UFC but lost his last two outings to Nate Quarry and Wilson Gouveia and has been beaten four times in his last six bouts. His UFC record is 5-5 (21-12 overall).

The UFC's decision to drop him comes just weeks after president Dana White praised the fighter following his loss to Nate Quarry at UFC 97 in Montreal.

"Anybody who puts on an exciting fight is good in our book and MacDonald is always awesome, man," White told the post-fight news conference when asked about the Canadian. "Always an exciting fighter."
    But also an inconsistent one. Between the recent Quarry loss and his debut win over Ed Herman in October 2006, his UFC record read win-loss-win-loss-win-loss-win-loss.

Part of the reason for that was MacDonald's insistence on trying to show off his standup skills in recent bouts. He changed tack against Quarry, saying he planned to revert to the clinch fighting and ground game that got him into the UFC.

But in trying to take Quarry down, he ended up under the American who carved him open with some vicious ground and pound.
    MacDonald came late to the UFC but turned heads with wins over Herman and Chris Leben before being stopped by former champion Rich Franklin. He went on to beat Rory Singer, fellow Canadian Joe Doerksen and Jason Lambert, losing to Yushin Okami and Demian Maia.

"I spoke with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva and we are still on good terms. He said to go out there and put together some wins and they'd like me to be back," MacDonald wrote. "I've always had a positive relationship with the UFC, and even Joe said I was always a pleasure to deal with. But this is a business decision."

MacDonald acknowledged his April 18 loss to Quarry was "a horrible performance," especially in front of Canadian fans at Montreal's Bell Centre.
    The former prison guard plans to fight in the Edmonton-based Maximum Fighting Championships - run by close friend Mark Pavelich - and work towards getting his jiu-jitsu black belt.

Loiseau (18-9) gets the axe just one fight into his return to the UFC. He looked unimpressive in dropping a unanimous decision to Herman at UFC 97, his first fight in the Octagon since UFC 63.

The 29-year-old Montrealer exits with a 4-4 record in the UFC.

"He looked old tonight. He couldn't get off," said White after UFC 97. "His timing wasn't there."

Day (17-8) won his UFC debut in impressive fashion, stopping Alan (The Talent) Belcher at UFC 83, before losing comprehensively to Michael Bisping and Kendall Grove.

The 27-year-old is due to fight June 6 on the Rumble in the Cage card in his native Lethbridge, Alta.

IBallthatshitbyyou

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I enjoyed watching all three fight. I hope these smaller shows can really hold up and provide these guys some income as they get cut form the UFC.

3. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

wow, one fight and they dropped the crow again. poor dude.

4. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

thug jitsu ftw

5. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

i liked jason mcdonalds, even though hes a ginger.

6. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Damn I loved watching MacDonald fight

7. Sylva

Sylva New Member

lol, wtf.

8. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

The fight with Maia was amazing.

9. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

honestly i think their best bet is to look at Strikeforce....i have a feeling Strikeforce would give them a good home

10. .Tim

.Tim New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Ouch!

11. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

The UFC should stop worrying about wins and losses Pride had it right its about entertainment.

12. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

there's nothing like being notified that you're fired by an email :hs: they should've at least spoke to the guy on the phone

13. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

:wtf:

J-Mac always fought hard no matter who they threw at him

Dana White doesn't care about white Canadians

14. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

It is smart for the UFC to drop fighters with a fan base and have other orgs snatch them up. It just solidifies the fact that the UFC is the #1 org when all the smaller shows have UFC drop-outs as champs.

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

fired via email, that's pretty fucked up.

16. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

unless your paying someone a ridiculous amount of money to lose.

lets say if tim silva fought 15 times and had a 15-0 record, then went on to lose 6 fights in the first round, you signed him to a 9 fight contract for 300k/fight in which he gets knocked out in the first 60s each time.

your throwing money away, they get paid on there skill/performance level if its not up to the pay rate they should get cut. UFC is a business and has to be profitable

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I hope they all go to strike force haha

19. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

:werd:

Gingers have no souls.

20. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

They are getting paid to entertain the people buying the PPVs.

Randleman Sakuraba Hansen Rampage etc.. all have reasonably shitty records in Pride but they were some of the most entertaining fighters on any card they got on. Ginger Canadian put on a good performance pretty much every time he fought.

21. roose

roose Guest

I agree with this. Win or lose, I have never watched a boring Jason McDonald UFC fight.

22. Helios

Helios New Member

Kinda makes me wonder if the UFC is one day gonna end up with a lot of talented & techincal but boring fighters.

23. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

Fighting is a brutal occupation.

Unless you've a fan favourite, marketable or unstoppable...you better be looking for something to fall back on once you've finished.

24. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Macdonald is the personification of why Pride is so sorely missed. UFC weighs entirely too much on win loss records, that it almost saps some of the fun out of the sport knowing that the person who loses is one step closer to being cut, regardless of how entertaining his performance is. Macdonald always scrapped his heart out and even though he lost, i'd like him more with every match. I'd like to see another 185 lber who would have the balls to play a ground game with Maia.

25. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

You have a lot of fighters in the UFC who were exciting, start to tone down it a bit so that they can guarantee a win instead of making an exciting fight.

I mean, nothings wrong with that since it is their job and they're just trying to do whats best for them, I would do exactly the same in their situation, especially the rate at which the UFC has been cutting its fighters the last couple months.