Macbook wont boot to DVD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I just picked up a Intel Macbook 2,1 from a friend. I can't get it to boot to Leopard or Snow Leopard install disks. It reads the disk for about 30 seconds then just shuts down.

-I have tried putting the disks in my MBP which will read and boot them fine.
    -I tried the disk in my MBP in Target mode and the MB seen the disk via firewire, read it for a lot longer than usual but still shut down after a period of time.
    -The battery is bad and won't charge, the computer turns off if I unplug the power cord. I have a new one in the mail, any chance this might have something to do with it?

I read online maybe it will only boot the original disks that came with it, does this mean I am stuck with Tiger?

I feel like a total noob again even though I've had my MBP for a quite awhile now.:noes:

2. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

You've probably already tried this, but have you tried holding down C while it boots?

3. Kieffer87

Yep tried C same thing. It just reads the dvd for about 20-30 seconds then instantly shuts down.

Found some steps online about restoring the install dvd to an external HDD partition. So I am going to give that a try later today.

4. Kieffer87

They are actual legeit install disks. It has 10.4 on there now, when I put either disk in I can open the disk, choose install os x, it then brings up a window to restart and installation will continue. Do that and it just reads the disk for awhile and boots back into OSX again.

5. Kieffer87

Got my install disk loaded on my external firewire HDD. As soon as I choose to boot to the install disk it turns off.

Is it possible the battery being bad is causing all of this?

6. Kieffer87

:oAnswered my own question. Pulled the bad battery out and just running off my MBP charger and it booted right into the install. Hope the rest goes well:x:

7. Kieffer87

Well got SL installed, but now when I try to install anything else including updates or even use the thing for more than 2 or 3 minutes it shuts off. I sure hope the battery fixes this headache.