macbook running shitty :mad: v. have to do with firmware update?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pseudonym, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

:mad: im soo pissed. my macbook has been running REALLY slow and laagy ever since i did that firmware update on friday. i don't know if it has anything to do with why it would be running bad, but it is the only thing that makes sense. inthe 2 days since the update, i have had to reboot 3 times cuz it became so low that things froze up, and didn't respond. This just happened, and everything froze. i had to turn my macbook off by holding down the power button. cuz of this i lost a whole bunch of work, and now i am pissed. this could be user error, but i have no idea how. I have had more problems with programs etc, freezing up on my mac than i every have on PC. I don't regret ever buying the macbook... but lately, when it hasn't been running well, it's been a big piss off

2. HomosexualThug69

HomosexualThug69 I like Big Black Cock

i was just about to run the SMC 1.1 firmware updtate too for the mac.. supposedly it fixes issues with the sudden shutdowns if you happen to have them. I might hold off on the update...

anyone else with experience on the new firmware update for the macbook?

3. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

If there isn't any processes that are pegging out the CPU then it could be the system is overheating and throttling down the processor.....or the hard drive could be starting to go bad.

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

so i just did a massive cleanup.. i cleaned a bunch of stuff so now i have 15gigs free on my HDD instead of 2 gig. i DLed OnyX, and cleaned up a bunch of caches etc. I also got rid of a bunch of PowerPC programs, and searched and searched for adequate Intel replacements. It's running much faster now.. but we'll wait and see if it still is in a bit.

5. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

lol the 2gb was probably your problem. i think i read somewhere that having less than 5-10% of your total hard drive free may slow things down dramatically because of the virtual memory os x uses.

btw, i have a macbook and installed the update and have had no problem.

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

upgrade your macbook hard drive and stick the old drive into an external enclosure. thats what i did. took the 60gb hard drive and upgraded to a 120 and stuck the 60 into a bytecc enclosure

7. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

My screen seems to flicker after the update.

8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

i have an 80 gig external that i keep my movies and backup on. i do plan on upgrading eventually, but not right at the moment. Cleaning up, like i said before did a hell of alot to speed it up.