MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rightdownupleft, Apr 18, 2008.

1. rightdownupleft

rightdownupleft New Member

I want to get one for editing and such. I want to get the laptop so I can be obviously mobile. ie. for school and other shit. Should I go with the mbp or something else?

2. blackrockbrig

blackrockbrig OT Supporter

what kind of programs are you going to be using? a mbp may be more computer than you need if you're still in school. however, if you want to look like a nerd and hang out at starbucks all day long then definitley go mbp.

3. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

What type of editing are you looking to do? Video editing? If so, an MBP may be worth it. A MacBook could also handle it, but I have always thought of MBPs as being more "robust."

Just stay away from the MacBook Air.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

A Macbook Pro is the best serious computing notebook available, so its not a bad choice. Get the 17" if you work on it much at all, though. The 15" is a bit small with that wide screen aspect.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you want osx, if so then buy a mbp. if you want linux/windows then don't buy a mbp. Look at a thinkpad/asus maybe a hp.

6. rightdownupleft

I work with photoshop a lot on my current PC. It lags and such, which I know is my fault, but I also know Mac is wayyy better for photoshop and shit. So I'll be doing photoshop and video editing I imagine. They are pricey but I will think I'm going to go with mbp.

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Why do people always make this assumption? :dunno:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they heard it on a tv commercial, paid for by apple. it must be true :o

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Actually, in the past MacOS was better for Photoshop simply because Photoshop on MacOS was light years ahead of Photoshop on PC. But, at some point Adobe started releasing the same versions on both so there is no longer much benefit to using it on either platform. So, since at one point it was true, people tend to still think that OSX is the platform for any graphic design or video editing.

10. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Isn't it true that the next version of Photoshop is only coming in 64-bit on Wintel platforms? :mamoru:

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Because windows rots, you have to re-install, it breaks, it freezes, there are driver issues, there are viruses, and its generally a shit OS compared to OS X?

As an artist, you don't want or need to worry about any of that stuff.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Artists prefer doing video and graphic design on OS X because the OS is largely trouble free, and is more intuitive for artsy types.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is a good decision. You will want to get one on the website (NOT at the store) with the faster drive (7200rpm, I believe) and maxed out RAM. You don't have to buy the RAM from Apple though. You can get the standard amount and then upgrade it yourself.

14. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

workflow

15. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

can you explain? i'm genuinely curious

Every OS has its problems though. I personally have not had problems with Windows Vista although I do agree that many have had problems. What I'm getting from what you said is that artists would rather use their computers as a tool to create with a nice squeeky clean OS rather than deal with a more technical (in a in-your-face kinda way) OS? If so, Vista really is pretty easy to use... if you can use Leopard and not Vista, then I don't even know what to say. I've used both and I don't think one is really easier than the other.

Nowadays it just seems to come down to a matter of personal preference, i would say. i don't think either would have any advantage. however, if im wrong please point out how.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That is what I was saying, yes. Vista isn't really a viable option yet. OS X is trouble free, and artsy types already know how to use it. Why would they choose anything else? There's just no compelling reason to choose anything but a mac if you're a creative type.

Create types like em because they're trouble free. Hackers like em because they are *nix. The rest of you are in the middle, and can have your Vista :)

17. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

I used to be pure Windows...until Vista. I hate Vista. It is slow, and it seems to have incompatibilities with a lot of software I use. MacOS X isn't perfect, but it is so much better...

The Mac computers themselves (save the operating system) are a different story. Just get AppleCare.

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So you're cool with Asus again? What changed?

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

when was I ever not? they're not nearly as well-built as a thinkpad, but they're no worse than the apple.

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You think a ThinkPad is better built than an Apple?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fo shizzle

22. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'm not familiar with the thinkpad, but the MBP is built pretty well. my only complaints about the 15" MBP i had were that there were only 2 USB ports and that one of them didn't receive enough power. i would've also liked the ability to use a docking station, since it was my primary work computer. other than that though, i had no complaints

23. rightdownupleft

I've just heard it from people that switched and such from apple. I personally do not like apple computers in general. I just figured the MBP was what I should get for photoshop and shit.

24. rightdownupleft

You cannot hook the MBP to a docking station?

25. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

it has no docking station. you can make it slightly better with a USB hub, so all of your local peripherals are connected in one shot, plus allows you to use more than just a keyboard and mouse (so stupid, only having 2 ports). but, each time you'll have to plug in your peripherals, power and monitor separately. not a big deal if you don't do it often, but i was taking my laptop between work and home every day.