Macbook Pro + warranty question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by amill94, Nov 4, 2006.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey guys, I bought a macbook pro like 45 days ago, and last night the hard drive started to click loudly and then the drive gave out about 10 minutes later. Now when I boot the computer it just sits at the gray screen with a blinking folder. Anyway, whats the best way to deal with the apple one year warranty? I don't want to send the laptop out for drive replacement b/c that will take weeks and I need the computer for work realated tasks. Also I feel that for the amount of money it cost I shouldn't have to deal with this so early on. My credit card statement that is due on the 21st of this month has the laptop on it...is there a way I can threaten to have the credit card company withhold payment or anything until I get this taken care of in a manner I would agree with? What have you guys done in a situation like this?

Thanks for the help.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

take it to the apple store and see if they can replace the drive there...
    if not, you gotta send it in, it takes about a week...

threatening to withhold payment? that's kinda over board don't you think? and don't be a dick and make a big deal about stuff when you're in the apple store or calling apple care, there really is so much they can do there, if you gotta send it in, you gotta send it in...

just accept it and don't be "one of those people", apple care wants the best for you and they'll do what they can

apple sent a rep to my work to replace a dvd drive that failed on my computer because i couldn't send it in (work computer, couldn't be down a week), they were there next day, so that might be an option for you.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I know how to deal with retailers. Obviously if you go in there yelling like a complete idiot they will not help you. I am very calm when I explain and ask for what I think is fair...thats usually the best way to deal with people. Anyway, I'll probably just take it to a local apple authorized service place. There is one 2 miles from my house. I never have purchased the "extended warranty" apple offers, but now I'm thinking about it.

I know apple doesn't produce the hd that went bad so it's not their fault, but honestly, this computer does not perform to where I expected. I have a powerbook G4 that is around 3 years old that is a 1.3ghz with 768mb of ram and it operates faster and better imo. This is a 2.x intel chip with 1 gig of memory and it freezes and lags doing the simplest tasks. I should have just returned it when I had the chance. Hopefully that was caused by the failing hd...but who knows. I'm just hoping with the new hd that this computer can do simple tasks, for example opening up vlc to play a video clip in less than 15 seconds without the spinning color wheel coming up, or having an unexpected error.

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

just make sure you're getting universal binaries of the applications...
    if you're still using the ppc stuff, you're going to get the spinny color wheel...

5. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

The freezing and lags was caused by the lemon hard drive.