Macbook Pro Memory

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Inferno, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Alright, so Im buying a MBP tomorrow for about $1300, its the 2.4ghz 8600gt model.. anyways, he only has 1gb of memory in it, he said he gave the other gig to a friend... so my question to ya'll is, would it be a bad idea to just buy one 2gb stick of ram, bringing it up to 3gb? or do I need to buy 2 x 2gb, so theyre not different types of ram?

2. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

DDR2 memory operates better in pairs. You're better off getting 2x2gb. It's not that expensive if you go to newegg or crucial.

3. SeanJhn9

SeanJhn9 Active Member

i just purchased this same model refurbished from the apple store for $1,349 a couple of hours ago, and i too was looking at upgrading the ram to 4GB...any of you guys know where i can get the best deal/product? **edit** just saw the poster above me said newegg or crucial :hs:

4. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Amazon has a Kingston 2x2GB for $50...I've got that in my MBP, my dad's and my brother-in-law's MBP. All are working flawlessly.

5. FakeLarry

FakeLarry Squatters Rights OT Supporter

I've been reading that people are having problems with 3rd party RAM in their new unibody macbook pros. Should I upgrade? Whats the cheapest I can get some good stuff?

6. Inferno

Inferno New Member

7. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

8. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

9. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Can older MacBookPro's with Intel run the 800MHz stuff? Someone commented to use it on the newer 2008 ones but I have a summer 2007 model. Will that work and what exactly do I need?

10. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

FOUND THIS ON AMAZON:

Great RAM But For Older Macs, December 30, 2008
    By Tim Challies (Oakville, Ontario) - See all my reviews

This is high-quality RAM and it may well make a significant difference to your machine. If you find that you're running many programs at once or using some more demanding programs like Photoshop this RAM will give you a bit of an edge. Read some of the reviews here and you'll see that.

But do note, this RAM is for the mid-2007 iMacs and MacBooks. The latest generation, the ones released in 2008 with Intel Core 2 Duo processors can still use it, but will do better with a slightly faster RAM. This is PC5300 RAM and is 667MHz. What you actually want for the latest generation of Macs is MC6400 RAM running at 800MHz. It's not going to be a night and day difference, but it's about the same price and you may as well get the right stuff.

To find the stuff you should get, search for this here at Amazon: KTA-MB800K2/4G. That is the Kingston part number and will turn up the one you want.

11. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I put 2x2GB Corsair I think it was in mine. Got it for $28 shipped after rebate awhile back. If you aren't in a hurry wait, usually a couple times a month memory companies offer rebates which usually bring the price down quite a bit if you don't mind waiting for the refund.