Macbook Pro Keyboard & Trackpad Issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by scotty, Jan 16, 2008.

1. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

So I had Tiger and I upgraded to Leopard and all was fine. Couple weeks ago I decided I wanted to clean install since it seemed slow and I had too many apps. So I backup my stuff and clean install. First thing I notice is my keyboard and trackpad are not responding. Caps lock and num lock key are flickering. I connect an external keyboard and mouse and run the updates, plus a 500k patch that is suppose to fix this. Restart nothing, clear PRAM, nothing.

I call Apple they walk me through all the steps to clear the PRAM and some other thing by holding do cmd + r + p (I think) Nothing works. I go to bed and turn it on the morning and it works, and then stops working later on.

So I go to the Genius bar and show him and of course it works in the Apple Store. Its over 1 year old and I don't have Apple care. He said he can't send it into their depot unless he verifies it, but the first thing they will do is erase bootcamp. I go home erase everything including my bootcamp partition and fresh install Leopard again. Keyboard / trackpad don’t work in setup but I use an external. Install finishes and I run all the updates again and still nothing works. I also tried taking out the 1 GB ram stick I added a long time ago. Didn't do anything.

Brought it back to apple store today with video recordings of the keys flickering and trackpad not working. And again the fucking thing works in the Apple store but I show the Genius the video. Minimum $350 to send it into their depot to repair it or I can go to an authorized Apple repair center. I called up two places they charge around $80-90 an hour (1 hour min) + parts. 1 said 10-12 days before it hits the bench, the other said 5 days.

This is a Macbook Pro Core Duo 2 GHz, 80 GB HDD, 1.5 GB ram.

Cliffs: keyboard and trackpad randomly stop working, caps and num keys flicker as well. backlight works fine. no warranty + no apple care = fucked

2. scotty

Hmm guess thats an option as well. I installed all the updates in software update as well as a small patch that was suppose to fix this.

3. scotty

Posted this on Mac Rumors too, but want to see what people around here say.

Just an update on this.

I sent a long detailed email to those Steve Jobs emails couple weeks ago. Yesterday I received a call from an Apple Engineer calling in regard to that email. After explaining the situation over the phone he had me try to install Tiger on my external drive and I would then email him the results. I did this and my problem persisted, which means it seems to be a hardware problem and not Leopard. He suggested I bring it back to the Apple store and have them send it in to diagnose the issue.

I am wondering if this is even worth it. I might end up spending $300 possibly more. New Macbook Pros seem to be right around the corner so I am wondering if I should just save up and put the money towards that. Will any places buy a semi broken Macbook Pro? Maybe they can part it out.