Macbook Pro Has A Screw Loose

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OakleyTodd, Sep 18, 2009.

1. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

So I tightened it, and then yesterday I noticed its gone. It looks as if the hole was stripped from the factory and the screw was barely staying in. So now I get to go to the Apple store tomorrow and see what they will do. It's only two weeks old.

I realize its just a single screw, but for $2,000 am I asking too much? If it is stripped, all they can do is replace the case or the entire computer.

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I'd take it back and demand a new one. If you buy something as full priced new, it should be perfect. They can fix that one and resell it as refurbished.

3. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Perhaps the screw was damaged and the threads in the computer are fine. At least try to install a screw first.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: And if nothing else, just have them put your hard-drive in a brand new one so you don't lose anything you've set up since having it.

Well, that or do a time machine backup and restore it to your new system.

5. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

I bought a Time Capsule last week, so it has been doing backups like a charm. I'm taking it in today to see what they say, I know the first thing they are going to ask is if I opened the case up.

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They won't swap your hard drive in most cases. Usually they just give you a refurb and if you pay them more or have the One on One thing they may hook up the old machine and transfer it over while you wait around for a couple hours for it to happen.

7. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Well they replaced the missing screw and blamed the one that fell out on it not having enough blue loc-tite to keep it in. He also said if it happens again they will replace the computer.

Funny thing is that there are quite a few people online with MBP that are having the exact same screw fall out. We'll see what happens.

8. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

:gtfo: you're in The Mac Shack dude....the only time we talk about Winderz is when discussing boot camp/parallels/vmware :mamoru:

9. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Not a problem with Macs.

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: and even on a lot of Windows machines it's no big deal. It's called NewSID.

11. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Same exact screw fell out again today, so back I go to get the entire machine replaced.

12. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

It was just two weeks old when this shit started, like I said before I'd demand a NEW (not refurbished) one. Take back the box and everything that came with it if you still have it all and your receipt.

13. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

So they took the back off and it appears where the screw gos into, the threads are not quite right. The threaded hole is actually in a seperate bracket that is mounted to the unibody enclosure so it can be replaced itself. The genius guy ordered that little piece and they are going to replace that little bracket alone. He did mention that if it was one of the threads thats in the body itself he would have just replaced it without question.

As far as the 14 day warranty, he mentioned they have an additional 2 week period in which its up to their descretion to replace an item outright or not.

14. brainndropp

brainndropp OT Supporter

Fuck that...a brand new unit and it needs repairs. Sorry swap that shit out!