Macbook hard drive failed during "repair"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MichelleAnna, Mar 18, 2009.

1. MichelleAnna

MichelleAnna let it be

The Apple store gave it back to me when I picked up my laptop. Is there any hope at recovering data? :wtc:

2. percent

percent deluded

Doubtful. You could try sticking it in the freezer for a few hours then plug it in and see if you can get some shit off of it. Other options would require alot of money or skill and might still come out failed.

3. MichelleAnna

MichelleAnna let it be

Someone told me to do that. Now that I'm hearing it a second time, I might actually try it.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Freezing is mainly for drives that won't spin up. I'd look into putting it in an external enclosure, hooking it up to different machines and seeing if anything will read it.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Tough luck son. Back up your shit. Drives are so cheap nowadays.

6. MichelleAnna

MichelleAnna let it be

I knoww, it's my bad. But, I wasn't expecting a hard drive failure in a 6th month old laptop. Got to start expecting the unexpected, I guess.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

That's a very bad assumption on your part. It doesn't matter if you just bought the computer last weekend. Once you put sensitive/valuable/important information on a computer/drive, you better make backups should something like this occur again.

8. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

They offered to replace it for you, right? It's within the first year, so it's definitely under warranty. Although it sounds like they told you it was bad, then ordered you a part and let you take the computer home to try and back stuff up if you wanted. They don't actually let you keep the old drive and the new drive.

9. MichelleAnna

MichelleAnna let it be

They told me the hard drive was fine and they were going to reinstall and transfer my data for $50. The next day, I get a call that the hard drive failed and the data was lost. I asked the lady if I could keep the old hard drive after they replaced the new one. She put me on hold, asked the manager, and came back to tell me it was okay. So, yes, I do have the old one and the new one.