MacBook Air touchpad question....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The1Ash10, Jan 20, 2008.

1. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

From what I understand, you can navigate through websites and rotate photos without doing anything but making gestures on the trackpad. Is there going to be any type of update released that allows you to do things like this with MB or MBP? Some of this is really cool, and could be helpful to have on other laptops, but I don't know if they are going to try to keep them exclusive to MBA.

2. ady

ady New Member

I'd expect to see this in the next implementation of the Macbook Pro (around June/July). It'll probably make it in to the macbook too when that is revised some time after.

3. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

Well I don't see why they can't just add this feature via some type of update. It doesn't appear that there is anything special about the touchpad itself; but more a software feature.

4. ady

ady New Member

I read that the current touchpads can't sense the multi-touch functionality that the MBA uses. Multiple fingers in an action yes, multitouch no. Whether that is the case or not, doesn't mean Apple would add it for free.

5. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

If it is software / firmware, its possible a 3rd party could do it just as easily. More likely the macbook and pro trackpads just don't have the ability to register those specific gestures

6. arostad

arostad OT Supporter

Yea, even if they could i'm sure they would charge their users money for the update.. Kinda stupid if you ask me. After I paid $400 for a ipod touch I had to pay a extra $20 just to get the update that they all have for the same $400 in stores now, wtf?? O well, If I could have a iphone in my area I would..

7. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

you had to pay $20 for a fucking update? :wtf:

8. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I bought mine from B&H Photo for $359 + free shipping. When I asked about the update not being on the iPod Touch, they said that the lower price is to offset the $20 software upgrade fee.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i don't see why the macbook could support the swiping motion they used to move forward and backwards in safari (correct? i sorta fell asleep half way through the keynote)
    if it can support 2 finger scrolling, it should be able to support that, now

woah woah woah, they are offering the new features for on the ipod touch for free...but are charging people $20 if they bought it before macworld? lame

10. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

I feel the same.

11. Tvan

Tvan New Member

When you change the functionality of a product you have to account for those changes, or you have to redo all of your financial statements for that product. They are still responsible for a breakdown of how that functionality is represented in the price that the consumer pays. So instead of fudging the numbers, they are charging for the features so that they can provide a legitimate means of account for that new functionality.

As for the thread topic, I don't see why a firmware update couldn't enable some of the multitouch commands for any trackpad capable of two finger commands.

12. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

what?

13. arostad

arostad OT Supporter

They gave free updates (with new features) to iphone users AND appletv owners at the same conference!!

no matter what the case, it was still a cock bag thing to do to their customers...

sorry for getting this thread offtopic

14. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

no, I agree totally. It just doesn't seem like some apple would do.... :dunno:

15. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Yes, but the iphone and appletv generate revenue for Apple through the phone plan and itunes store. The ipod touch doesn't, so they disguise it as an accounting discrepancy to bring in $20 for a substantial upgrade to an existing product.

This isn't a new thing, they also charged people to unlock wireless N capabilities on some imacs and macbooks.

cliffs: accounting bullshit

16. arostad

arostad OT Supporter

I don't think you understand what i'm getting at.. It was bull shit for apple to do this to their loyal customers. Companies upgrade firmware and features all the time without charging their customers.. Examples? ps3, xbox, cell phones, routers, tivos, the list goes on and on..

BTW: The touch DOES make money for apple because it has the itunes store application on it (i buy songs with my touch all the time in hotels when i don't have my computer) just like the appletv

cliffs: apple is apparently a lazy business if your theory is true, which is a huge disappointment for loyal customers like me and others

17. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

I agree 100%. I just don't understand this at all. Have they ever done anything like this before?

EDIT: This thread got very far off topic... :hs:

18. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

There are legal reasons behind Apple charging for the upgrade as they did with the upgrade to 802.11n on some machines. If they didn't charge the upgrade fee they could be open to some legal action as the machine wasn't originally advertised to have that ability.

19. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I'm pretty sure all of that turned out to be bullshit from an accounting standpoint.

At the very least what you typed makes no sense at all.

20. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

In the past, Apple has said

21. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Can someone explain that in laymans term?

22. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

Good thing he's not an accounting major? :mamoru:

23. ady

ady New Member

Apple trying justify making money as they know it isn't viewed favourably by consumers.

24. Mr. Kitty Litter

Mr. Kitty Litter OT Supporter

What Purdue do you go to? Lafayette or Calumet?