Mac Wont Boot, HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vurb, Jun 12, 2003.

1. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Info : Mac G4 400mhz running OS 9.0.4

It was acting real crazy and crashing a lot early yesterday, as I got the HD down to 1GB unused for the first time. Then I went to save something last night (50mb .wav file) and it said something about it couldn't save due to a disk error or something to that effect. So I saved as a copy and it worked. Next I wen't to copy a big file from a CD onto the HD. It got stuck copying and, while I could move the mouse, I couldn't do anything else..force quit, etc. So I hit the restart button. It made the usual restart sound and then the dreaded flashing question mark. Restarted a few times, still nogo. So I started up from the system CD and heres what I got:

[​IMG]

So I ran Disk First Aid, and here's what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what to do next? Should I run Norton Utilities? I really need the data on that HD. In fact I've got a big project on there that was supposed to be finished by next weekend. Ideas, anyone? :sadwavey:

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I have a Mac but I don't know too much about it - I am guessing in the worst case you could get a new hard drive and when that boots up you could copy the data from the old HD to the new one :dunno:

I am lucky in that there is an Apple Store nearby - everytime I have question I just drive down there and ask the resident gurus who are of great help and free of charge.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't offer any real advice.

3. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

:eek3: I thought you were a PC user :wtc:

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I am, but I have an iMac just for fun - I don't do too much without though but OSX is real purdy :)

5. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

My college should upgrade to OSX, i dont know what its like yet

6. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Ya I posted this in off-topic and got some good answers. Maybe I'll go down to Comp-USA and talk to the mac guys there. They may be able to help me out. Didn't think of that. First I'm gonna run Norton and try a few other things. Thanks. :hs:

7. theres a simple solution to this: dont use a mac. i had one for like four years and had a shitload of problems with it, from errors galore to 'low memory' notices when i was running nothing at all. soooo... yeah.

8. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Yeah, i get that alot at college, but those machines are treated bad and so i cant judge it.