Mac vs Windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by blitzel3, May 5, 2009.

1. blitzel3

blitzel3 New Member

I think I want a new laptop. I've used windows all my life, but I'm considering a switch. Which do you think is a better choice? :eek3:

Basic requirements:
    ~I want good performance obviously
    ~I want to be able to play games on it, so it would probably have to be mac book pro
    ~I want it to last

P.S. If I got a desktop, which would be a good choice?

:x: Thanks!!! :x:

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

3. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

The price difference should be something to really think about. Similarly equipped macs usually cost a good deal more than a windows PC.

Maybe you should try out the mac OS for a while, see if you like it enough to switch.

4. blitzel3

blitzel3 New Member

Yeah I know that macs usually cost a shit ton. I think cost is preventing me from actually buying one, but if money was no problem I'm curious to which is the better choice. I don't know.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Personally, I never liked PC games, prefer consoles, but if that's your thing, then you should stick with a Windows desktop machine. You can do gaming with a notebook, but why would you want to?

For everything else besides gaming, it's really what you prefer using. Have you used a Mac with OSX before? I like the OS/environment and prefer it over Windows. People always bring up the argument that there's tons more software for Win than OSX, alot of it is garbage. The big titles that matter the most, are available on multiple platforms, like Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc.. Play with one for a while if you can. Mac OSX does have a slight learning curve, as a few things are done differently, but nothing too bad.

6. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Now that Macs use Intel processors, the game issue is dead. Three reasons:

1. It's ultra-easy to port Windows games to Mac OS X with just a WINE-based wrapper
    2. You can run Windows in VMWare
    3. You can natively boot into Windows with Boot Camp

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So then the point of even getting the mac in the first place is for the shiny white case?

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

That is dumb if you're just gonna install and solely use Windows on a Mac. The point of getting a Mac should be to use OSX.

I will never understand PC gaming, even more so on a notebook, but if you must have your games, you can run Windows XP/Vista/7 on an Intel Mac.

I have Vista installed on my MacBook, just to have it. I haven't had a need to use it, but it's there. I might delete the partition since I don't ever use it.

Oh, and if you plan on doing any gaming, you wouldn't get a shiny white case. ;)

9. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

No with the Mac you can run Mac OS X mainly, and just Windows when you need to.

With a PC you're stuck with Windows unless you do some hackintosh hacking.

10. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Typical ignorant mac sac rider

11. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

This is such a fucking no brainer ......

First of all those requirements you listed are pretty much irrelevant (except for games maybe :dunno:). Anything's gonna have good performance (especially so these days) and "will last" :dunno:? Every computer I've ever owned in my life has "lasted" until the day I drag them out of the attic and put them in the dumpster.

Here are the most important questions
    A. Do you want your friends to think you're cool?
    B. Are you willing to pay 3 times more money for the same computer so your friends will think you're cool?

If you answer yes to A and B, get a Mac, otherwise get a PC. Personally I like both Mac's and PC's....I answered yes to A and No to B though so all my machines are PC's :o. I've got a VMWare OSX machine on my Windows desktop I play w/ when I'm bored

12. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

O rly??? I love when people tell me what they can do w/ their mac's that you can't do w/ a PC :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

qft

13. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I like my Mac in blueberry or Cherry.

God, remember when imacs where new and people were like, 'Hey I just got a imac in GRAPE!'.

14. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Upstairs we have a newish imac. My Father in law swears by them. He won't use anything but.
    He is also 70 something years old.

15. blitzel3

blitzel3 New Member

You sir, made an excellent point.

16. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl:

[​IMG]

and the little fucking disc mouse :rofl:

[​IMG]

those things were garbage back then too (pre intel). I like the current gen mac and think they're really nice machines....but they had to switch over to "PC" hardware to make them :o. At least now you get a nice machine that's way overpriced, instead of way overpriced garbage :hsugh:

17. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

all that plus the Mac's 9400M-9600MGT graphics

vs

a windows laptop equipped with a GTX280M,... and still has enough money for an Intel SSD, and hookers and blow

who the hell will pick the mac for gaming?

18. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

You're fucking retarded.

A. Who the fuck cares if people think you're cool or not.
    B. Macs may cost more, but they don't cost 3x as similar PCs

MacBook Pro 15" starts at $1999.
    A Dell XPS 15.4" with similar specs is about $1527.

$1999 /= $1526 x 3

19. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Apple was still using PowerPC before "they switched over to "PC" hardware " as you so put it, and they were good looking then. Those early iMacs though, weren't the best looking, but I think that was before Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Jobs is what took for Apple design to get better, not some switch to Intel.

Mac Pro was still a dual G5 when they came out with the aluminum case that is still unchanged today.

PowerBooks were also aluminum and looked the same as the previous MacBook Pros

G5 iMac (white one) design also was used with intel cpu before changing to aluminum design.

White MacBook used to be iBook with a G4 processor.

20. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Here we go :rolleyes:
    obviously a joke/exxaggeration :hsugh:

When I bought my laptop (about 1.5 years ago) I was looking into the Macbooks. I really liked them and was actually about to buy one. Ended up finding a Vaio on sale for $850 @ Circuit City similar to the $1300-$1400 Macbook I was looking at. I spent a lot of time comparing/researching every spec on each one, they were basically identical. Trust me, I tried hard to find a way to justify spending the extra $ on the Mac, just couldn't do it.

The website I'm sure you quoted your MB/XPS comparison from puts it best
    http://soapboxrants.net/2008/05/14/macbook-pro-15-vs-dell-xps-m1530/
    I don't know man, I admittedly don't know much about the pre intel Macs, it just seemed like they were always outperformed by PC's until they switched to Intel :dunno:.

The current gen macs are PC's that run OSX instead of Windows, agreed?

21. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

If you are planning on doing any serious gaming, just build yourself a nice little Wintel gaming box. Unless you have a high-end iMac or a Mac Pro, the GPU on most Macs will NOT run games at high res/high settings. Plus you can build yourself a nice gaming box for much less the price of a Macbook that would blow Apple's mobile computers away.

22. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

The guy is looking for information about purchasing a notebook, most likely a MacBook Pro, and you spread misinformation?? What facts do you have that PowerPC was outperformed by Pentium? You do know that Xbox 360 uses a PowerPC cpu, right? Why would MS use PPC if it's outperformed by Intels? You don't much about Macs, yet you're making assumptions.

3 x $850 /= $1400, it's not even twice as much. Yeah, Apple computers cost more than Windows machines, we all know that.

PC = Personal Computer which includes Apple computers, even pre-Intel, PowerPC Macs along with Windows and *nix machines.

To some people, Mac OSX and its closely integrated system is worth spending the extra money. IMO, OSX is better, requires less maintenance.

Sure you could build a Hackintosh for much less, but you'd have to hack the OS and learn how to tweak it to work properly, and I'm not even sure how updates would work on such a computer.

fucking :werd: I'm not even a PC gamer (consoles FTMFW), and even I know that proper gaming should be done on a desktop. Are there any serious hardcore gamers that do gaming on a notebook? :dunno:

23. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I still want to get one of those old iMacs and replace its insides with a min-ITX motherboard. I just don't have the motivation to do it.

24. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yes
    and its better today since you can buy gaming laptops with quad cores and mobile SLI/crossfire now,... and its about the same price range (or cheaper) than a macbook pro.

25. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

But dude...everyone knows real gamers don't settle for less than dual-SLI, and triple-SLI is preferred. So-called "gamer notebooks" are weaksauce.