mac tablet - what are the chances?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Aug 7, 2008.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

in 2003 i saw a story about the "likelihood of a mac tablet" posted on macrumors.

all these years later, and again there are a few rumors going around about a multitouch mac tablet. the axiotron modbook is a cool concept, but it's too big, too expensive, and has no hardware keyboard. not workable for me.

at this point i'm considering doing a hackintosh (yes, even buying another leopard license) on an IBM x61.

whatchu think? is there actually a chance this year?

2. ady

ady New Member

I can't see them releasing something similar to the current tablets, but running OSX. More likely to be a tablet sub-notebook or something we have not seen before. The type of user that windows tablets are marketed towards are generally the ones Apple shuns.

3. Blair

Blair New Member

i have a windows tablet and never use the tablet functionality. tablets suck, period.

why does everyone keep asking for an apple tablet?

4. cbenedict

cbenedict OT Supporter

agreed.

i can see tablets being used for hospitals and restaurant types (commercial applications)

i just dont see any practicality in them.

5. gui3

depends on the industry you're in.

obviously, those in graphic design who use Wacoms with their macs would benefit.

for me - i'm a lawyer. i take notes in court, but i can't bring my friggin' macbook pro. it's too big, too heavy, and having a screen up (especially with the glowing apple) is bad to have at a podium and worse at the counsel table (spectators and lawyers behind you may see your screen.

ive been planning to get a tablet for a while - if it was usable, it would be great in court and during my usual note-taking (like scanning all my case files in)...but there hasn't been a mac tablet.

if the general feeling is that it won't happen, maybe i'll just get an X61 and do the hackity hack

6. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

I think it's pretty slim. it's a niche market and even though I'd be part of it (I do graphic design) there really isn't much use for one.

A tablet laptop- I don't think any serious graphic designer has ever needed one. There are a few people here and there like students, etc. but overall it's not something they could really market for everyone.

If they release something like a cintiq:
    [​IMG]

It would just cost too damn much and wacom already has it down.

I just have a feeling my wacom will be my solution for a very long time. and I just got my hands on a smaller wacom intuos for free today (now I just need that mbp :hs: )

IMO I don't think they'll do a tablet, I'm guessing it would be something along the lines of microsoft's touch thing.... Something more interactive and futuristic than a plain ole tablet. they didn't give you a pen with the iphone I doubt they'll incorporate one into their desktops/laptops.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  7. gui3

somehow i can't picture an apple computer coming with some kind of rotating latch in the middle, but i think it would be cool.

i can't imagine they'd do a full multitouch thing with glass like the iphone - the fingerprint stuff would be unbearable and, if i'm honest, pointless.

since they gave Axiotron special status, i can't imagine they'll do that type of form factor unless it was selling like hotcakes, which it isn't, and it doesn't have a keyboard anyway.

i guess we have our answer.

8. hoppy1028

hoppy1028 New Member

9. gui3