Mac Shack, what's the word on a January 2008 MBP update?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bona Fide, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

I've heard rumors being thrown around about such an update, especially since it sits in line with the MBP's 6-month production cycle. Is there anything more solid to suggest that we'll see an update then?

The earliest I can get a current-gen MBP is mid-September. I don't mind going this semester with my desktop and then getting a brand new MBP in time for next semester. :dunno:

2. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

3. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

4. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

looks like it could go either way

The code-name Santa Rosa refers to the fourth-generation Centrino platform, which was released on Wednesday 9 May 2007.
    The Santa Rosa platform consists of:

Processors - Socket P

an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Merom) second generation processor with 800 MT/s FSB, or
    an Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Penryn) 45nm processor scheduled for release in 1H 2008 [1] for Santa Rosa Refresh platform.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

christ, just get it now and get it overwith...
    january is like 5 months away...
    5 months from now you'll be thinking "i can't get it now, there is an update coming" :noes:

6. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

that's what I did and I ended up getting a g4 powerbook a month or two before the intel switch started. :mad:

7. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

I'd have to get the $1799 one with the crippled 128MB video card, and I really don't NEED one right away. It would be nice, but I can wait till January-ish, which is why this entire thing was brought up.

8. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

:eek3: i would be pissed. i wish they would tell you ya know.

like oh we are updating iMacs not buy an old one then a week later new stuff comes out.

9. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

If you do a bit of research, you can usually deduce when Apple's going to roll out updates. Don't buy anything if WWDC is coming up, or if the ADC is coming up, etc. There are certain key events each year during which Apple is guaranteed to announce an update.

10. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

if you dont need it now, just wait.
    and get it when they release the newest version.
    it could be tomorrow or it could be another year.
    NO ONE KNOWS

11. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

Not hard to guess though, going by Apple's trends and Intel's timeline. Each MBP's production cycle has been ~180 days, which would put a new update around early December. Since Intel is going to debut their new Penryn platform in January, it's not hard to make an educated guess at when the Penryn-based MBPs will come out.

Here's to hoping they get a new design too...the current one's getting old.

12. ady

ady New Member

With Penryn mobile processors not really being a huge advance, and with them probably not reaching most of the competition until mid february at the earliest, I could see Apple waiting for Montevina for new MBPs.

13. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

yes, that makes sense but its not completely true, the imac had a pattern of that same thing, and it took almost twice as long to release this most recent revision