mac question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris90210, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

i am considering buying a ibook. i have always had windows. i was wondering what things can and can't be transfered between windows and mac.

i mainly wonder about microsoft word documents. this is going to be used for college

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

You can transfer anything, i think what you want to ask is what will remain compatible. Because apple is way smaller than microsoft, they pretty much have to bend to their will when it comes to compatibility and file formats. Word documents are compatible with basically any text editor nowadays, including textedit (free app that comes with os x) and NeoOfficeJ, which is a mac port of the open office suite. Open office is a free alternative to word, and it includes text, spreadsheet, and presentation things.

3. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I have word on my mac.

4. weazl

weazl New Member

i have office 2004 on my pb and work with windows at school with no problems in compatability. office 2004 will also do a compatability check if you want it to, just to make sure your file is formatted correctly

5. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

thanks that is what i needed to know now i will prob. end up getting an ibook

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

don't expect any .exe file to work like they do on windows machines. macs need a program associated with the file in order for it to run (read: one of many reasons why viruses/spyware/adware are sparse on the mac)

word, powerpoint, .mp3, .wmv, etc., will work on macs