Mac processor speeds comparable to pentium?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nmt6789, Aug 23, 2005.

1. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

I am looking at the mac mini's and i see that the processor speeds are very low... I know the speed varies from manufacturer... So how is a 1.42 ghz mac compared to a p4?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i'd say close to, if not slightly above a 2.0ghz p4

3. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I have to :rofl: at this. I have a dual 867 mhz and, despite apple's clever marketing, I'd say it's about as fast as a pentium 1 ghz.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

My dual 2.7ghz G5, well, could probably be compared to a dual 3.0 or 3.2...not really sure since i've never seen one.

5. dirteemac

Reports from developers who have the intel developer box say that a SINGLE P4 3.6 ghz IS WAY FASTER than a DUAL 2ghz g5.

6. dirteemac

I know a guy who does motion graphics for a living and he has a dual 2ghz g5 and a toshiba laptop with a single 3.2 ghz p4 with hyper threading and he says his laptop is about 35% faster than the g5.

7. dirteemac

I don't see how that's an excuse, especially when apple seems to claim the media creation market niche. My mac sucks shit in terms of speed/processing power compared to it's supposed pc equivalaent in just about everything except stability, whcih doesn't have much to do with the processor.

8. dirteemac

yes, but the main problem is shitty, slow ass processors with a 167 mhz system bus.

9. dirteemac

My g4 isn't even three years old, and it's not the fact that it's slowing down that's the issue, it's the fact that it's never been even remotley fast at anything as it's pc counterparts...

10. Boosted5speed

Boosted5speed New Member

Well thats nice to hear, since a Pentium 3 1ghz was as fast as a 1.4ghz p4 in nearly all tests.

11. dirteemac

12. dirteemac

I'm sure the speed increase between a 1ghz and 1.4 ghz g4 is simply mind-blowing.

13. dirteemac

Um, I don't see any mention of a 333mhz FSB.... :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  14. dirteemac

Well, anyways, in conclusion, the old addage "With mac's, you pay twice as much for half the speed" has rung true for me. Back in the mid-90's, whan apple made the switch to PPC, they were actually faster than intel chips for a brief moment, but for whatever reason, motorola was quickly outpaced by intel thereafter, apple still couldn't keep up with pc's even after adding an additional processor. When I considered buying my first mac back in 2002, I used to read trade magaazines and the like that touted such claims as, "A 1 ghz g4 is up to 44% faster than a 2.2 ghz P4 at photoshop!" but after I got my mac, I quickly realized that this just wasn't true. That said, I'm still happy with my mac. The overall value of a computer can't simply be quantified in terms of mhz and processor speed, there are a lot of other variables that make mac my preferred computer and I also see a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of processing power with Apple's announcement that they are going to be switching to intel chips.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005