Mac pro vs. MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rusbrmasas, Jan 8, 2008.

1. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

Hi,

I am in the market for a new Mac (and am waiting to see what Macworld 2008 has to offer).

I am kind of stuck between the top of line 15" MacBook Pro and the base configuration for a Mac Pro (both of which run for $2799 CAN).

I am currently using a 12" Powerbook G4 that is about 3 years old, and part of me likes the option of being able to take my machine with me when I am on the go. However, I just purchased an iPod Touch, which allows me to do many of the things I would do on my laptop when I on the go (listen to music, watch movies, read articles via Google Reader, check my email).

I like the expandability of a Mac Pro but also like having the portability of a laptop. Also, I should mention that I am a MSc student in Computer Graphics, so graphics performance is a big factor for me when purchasing a new system.

Wondering what your thoughts on the situation are?

Thanks.

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

after owning a powerbook and realizing i dont use it as a laptop all that often id buy a mac pro the second time around.

especially if you already have a laptop that will get things done

3. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

My biggest problem with the MBP is RAM. CPU and video wise it's plenty serious enough for most tasks but 4GB would strangle a lot of my work :( Not to say you can't get a lot done with 4 but I page on my Mac Pro and G5 with 8GB sometimes. Doing animation and such at HD+ resolution is a killer. Just something to consider, depending on your app. of choice.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Mac Pro - so many options for expansion. It will last much much longer. :bigok:

5. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Unless you absolutely need a notebook and don't want two systems, I'd go with the Mac Pro. It's much more expandable. You can even replace the processors after the price of faster 8 core ones go down (although that's not sanctioned by Apple).

6. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

Definitely go with the Mac Pro if you can. If you don't really need the mobility of a laptop, or if you already have a laptop, Mac Pro is the better option. It's much more expandable, and definitely more powerful.