Mac OS X Security

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Oct 26, 2006.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Okay, I'm really getting frustrated everytime my dad has to call and ask if he has a virus or spyware. Basically today he called and asked because he went away from his computer and when he came back the screen showed up with a login screen of a website for his business. The username was filled out and the password field was filled with something. Now, my dad is getting old, and he tends to forget things that he does, but he says he was sure he did not leave it like that. Regardless if he did or not, always wondering if its a virus or spyware is getting annoying. I want to switch him over to a Mac (as I'll be picking up a macbook pro myself) and be done with it.

Question: Is Mac OS X secure out of the box? Or do I need to mess with some settings? Can you guys recommend any sites that talk about Mac Security? Thanks in advance.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

safe out of the box...
    no spyware...no viruses*

*there are viruses, but you have to install them yourself, as in, you need to download the file, run it, put in your password to install it...

you can't "catch" a virus, or a worm or anything by going to a website or opening an email, you literally need to install it yourself...no viruses on the mac are selfreplicating.

it's safe stright out of the box...

3. Morpheus647

Morpheus647 New Member

I agree, safe right out of the box. There is also a built-in firewall that you can turn on from the system preferences.

4. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

just set it up to automatically download and install system updates if he's forgetful

5. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

at this point its a hell of a lot more secure than windows because its not as popular in businesses, so not as many people writing exploits for it. Plus its built on BSD which is pretty secure in general, and Apple is decent about providing security updates as they come along.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

pretty secure out of the box, but almost nobody writes mac exploits yet. The problem is that you rely on 3rd party applications (like firefox, mail clients, etc) that could potentially be unsafe. But like I said, the fact that almost nobody writes viruses or exploits for OSX means that you would have to be VERY unlucky to find one.

7. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

....or not, but if that helps you sleep at night.....

8. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

no its not completely secure, he should turn on his firewall. Mac OS X has the firewall turn off by defualt. tell him to go to system prefences and then sharing. from there firewall and tell him to turn it on