Mac noob- can you plug a guitar directly into a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by O'Fuck, Mar 29, 2006.

1. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

A friend of mine said they had a cable that you could plug in direct... from a 1/4 inch straight into the Powerbook.

But that friend also tends to be full of shit... so I was hoping to know for sure before I braved the mall to get to the Apple store.

2. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

You can buy a 1/4-1/8 converter plug from Apple but I would suggest going to Radio Shack and getting the exact same thing for 1/4 of the price.

3. robwormald

robwormald New Member

4. ej25power

ej25power OT Supporter

I did this to my old old Performa back in the day. It will sound like absolute shit.

If your amp has a line out, use that instead of plugging your guitar right into the input on your computer. Better yet, get a gate and learn how to use it.

5. thezak

thezak New Member

Yes. Garageband works like a charm :)

6. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

If you've ever tried to connect your guitar to your computer, you'll appreciate the simplicity of the GarageBand Guitar Cable. This high quality, magnetically shielded cable eliminates the need for additional adapters - just plug one end into your Mac's input port and the other end to your axe.

This high quality, magnetically shielded cable sports a standard 1/4" guitar plug at one end, and a stereo mini-jack at the other — ready to plug right into your Mac's mini audio-in port. Your Mac is one of those without an audio in port? No problem. We've got you covered with a Griffin iMic — no other adapters are needed.

The GarageBand Guitar Cable — mini-jack adapter built right in, 10 feet long, and a steal at $24.99.

Roofles

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

:rofl:

8. kevkid

kevkid New Member

Be careful if you get an adapter from radioshack cuz a lot of them are mono and not stereo so unless they have one, i would take the hit at the apple store

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

its easy enough to check. You want mono at the guitar end spliced to stereo at the mac end if possible ;) We used to have them at the electronics store i used to work at.

10. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

A guitar is mono too.

11. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

A guitar is mono, left only. When you record you want to set it to mono. There are not two tracks for a single guitar. GarageBand has amp modeling built-in but i would still suggest micing your guitar amp for a much better sound or getting a POD.

12. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

i plug my guitar into a distortion pedal then into my imac. I really like the way it sounds but then again I'm a newb so i can't tell the difference.