mac mini

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VenomousSVT, May 21, 2007.

1. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

I am currently an IBM compatable user and IT manager. I run all versions of windows/windows server at work, I run linux/vista dualboot on my primary machine at home. However I am looking at getting something as a multimedia machine to connect to my 42" lcd. I want something nice looking and small which is what brought me to the mac mini. I will be using the machine mainly for some occasional web surfing, maybe some photoshoping photos, and storing HD content movies so I can watch them on my TV.

Would a mac mini suit my needs or am I wasting my money?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i don't have firsthand experience, but judging from my macbook c2d, the mac mini will choke and die if you attempt to play 720p hi-def mkv files.

everything else, it should handle alright.

i would look into getting a mac pro or maybe a g5, too bad the form factor is so large compared to the mac mini. they don't have anything in between that doesn't have an integrated display

3. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

damnit, and thats exactly what I want to be doing with it....:squint:

and I was trying to come out on the affordable side too, as well as play with a new OS... oh well looks like I will have another microshaft computer sitting around.

4. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

I want a mac pro :wtc:

5. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I accidentally downloaded (a trial version of course) a 720p Planet Earth MKV file instead of .avi and it played just fine on my 2GB 1.66 Mini Duo using VLC.

:wiggle:

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i think it's all about how they encode it, the bitrate probably.
    i have the goonies, howard the duck, and children of men in mvk 720p form, they will open in vlc on my macbook, but as soon as any motion happens, vlc gives me a computer too slow warning

(they will play decently on my pc that is an amd athlon 64 3000+ with an nvidia 7600gt 256mb agp card through vlc)

however, i can play the 720p/1080p files at this [link] and they don't hiccup. i don't get it

the even weirder thing is that i have the 5th element in 720p wmv form. it will not play in niceplayer or vlc, it performs like an mkv. however, it plays occassionally in quicktime + flip4mac wmv

Last edited: May 22, 2007