Mac mini upgrade question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WooleyBooger, Nov 6, 2007.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

I have really wanting to jump into a Mac...i would like to get a macbook of some sort, but they are expensive. I was thinking that since i have a monitor mouse and keyboard i could just get the mini. Its cheaper and has similar specs to the macbook.

My question is, when you start spec'ing one out it shows max ram to be 2gb and max hdd to be 160gb. Why couldn't i buy the base model...then upgrade using standard RAM later (or would i need mac specific ram), and a bigger hdd? Are there any space limitations within the case that would prevent me from going to a 7200rpm 500gb drive?

Thanks.

2. WooleyBooger

Hmm just realized it appears to be a laptop drive in the mini...but there are larger/faster drives out than a 5400 160gb right?

3. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

You can get 200 GB 7200RPM 2.5" SATA drives now. The ram thing might be a limitation of the system tho, I know my macbook will max out at 3gb. I have 2gb in it now and it's plenty. I need a bigger hd tho.

Oh, and if you really have a hard on for a big drive, just get en external USB 2/ Firewire case and a nice big drive. You can get cases off ebay pretty cheap.

4. WooleyBooger

I would bet it is a system limitation (ram)...i'm wondering how many slots you have, and how many are used by default, and what type ram i would need.

5. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

IMO, 2gb is probably more than enough. I just did it cause I tend to run VM's on my system, and I"ll likely need to install Vista in bootcamp so I can learn this shit. Anyone with vista knows that you need 2gb minimum ram.