mac mini q video

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JubjubRSX, Apr 21, 2006.

1. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

hi everyone,
    at the moment i have a G3 powermac and well last nite my main puter a XP machine the proc fried on me(computer just spews out message's saying System ERROR CPU test(talking mobo)) so anywho im thinking of replacing it with a mac mini and stuffing the hdd's in my G3 and kinda use that as a file server considering i have lots of mp3's(legal of corse)......

my big question is i play World of warcraft alot how well will it play that? also ive heard about dual booting with XP.

having a mac already thats running OSx already its not like a complete noob to it...but would like some oppions

thanks

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

windows + duo core = fast...
    just load that little guy up with ram and you're good to go.

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

clean up that post there a bit, chief :hsugh:

4. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

I wouldn't recommend a Power Mac G3 at the rate Apple is cutting support for their legacy systems. You could upgrade it, but with the cost of Mac Minis nowadays, you might find the cost to upgrade is more than what it's worth. I recommend replacing it.

As for the dual-boot configuration into XP, I wouldn't recommend pursuing that, as the software that makes that happen is a time-release beta. I would wait for the next version of OS X if you want to use that ability full-time. Plus, this feature is only available to the Intel Macs, so you'd have to buy a new Mac anyway if you wanted to think about doing that using out-of-the-box software.

HTH!

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

What are you talking about. He wants to use the G3 as a server to access all his old files, its perfect for that.

And, he wants to buy a new mac mini with the intel to run bootcamp. Everyone else has been fine running games etc on thier intel iMacs and mac minis, there are atleast 3 threads covering this topic.

6. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Did you happen to miss this?

My answer was in the context of this question, with the understanding that he was interested in playing WoW on his B/W G3. I didn't think I had to cover my ass this extensively when answering a question in this forum. :hsugh:

If my admitting my misunderstanding will raise your self esteem by 10 points, then I'm glad I made your day. :hsugh:

I never said anything about games not running, but you are aware that Bootcamp is a time-limited beta, correct? It would kind of suck if he intended to use Windows a lot on the new box, only to have the beta tank on him later.

Just in case I need to cover my ass some more...

Last edited: May 1, 2006