mac mini memory upgrade v. help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ih8mice, May 12, 2008.

1. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

My g/f’s mac mini has been running pretty slow lately so I figured I’d help her out by upgrading the memory. She’s got the power pc g4 version (1.5ghz). It currently has 512mb and only has 1 slot so I just purchased a gig chip to install. I checked on crucial and kingston’s websites and both stated that her model requires DDR PC2700. The 512 chip that came in the computer appears to be PC3200 (based on the sticker on the chip) :dunno:

The install seemed to go fine…the new chip pushed right in and locked into place. When I try to boot the computer it lets out an unusual tone and just hangs. The light in front just blinks every 5 seconds or so. The only conclusion I can come to, based on the forums I’ve checked, is that I’ve got bad ram. I did find it on pricewatch for $22 shipped…any ideas?

2. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

bad ram. best idea is to buy what crucial stated in its website + sometimes you get what you pay for with cheap ram. to be absolutely sure, run the apple Hardware test. Its on the original DVD's that came with the mac mini

3. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

good call...i forgot about the hardware test dvd

i've never gotten bad ram before so i figured price wasn't an issue. oh well, only out $22...just ordered from crucial $58 shipped

4. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

received the memory from crucial and installed. booted right up w/ a noticeably faster boot time.

thanks for the help jackback

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Was the crucial you ordered PC3200? That's what I bought at Fry's and it works just fine. PC3200 will work with PC2700 slot, but at PC2700 speeds.

6. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

I should upgrade the ram in my mini....