mac mini dvd drive making a grinding noise!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Furner, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

i tried to burn a dvd today and it sounded like the disk was going to fly away or something.
    sooooooooooo its still under warranty, and I am going to take it to the apple store, but i was wondering if anyone knows what their solution will be....because if they will fix the computer, i would pay the difference for a super-drive if they will allow that.
    or will they just swap me out for a power-pc refurb?
    maybe a intel mini??

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've had my lite on dvd burner make grinding noises...it usually happens when i use crappy media and something goes wrong.

it's your trying to burn a dvd, you'd already have a superdrive...i don't quite get what your saying...you tried to burn a dvd, you know it's under warranty, why would you pay for a super drive ?

3. Furner

Furner New Member

i dont know what i was saying, i was trying to burn a cd, no dvd for home. this is the same media i have been using for the past 11 months now, i bought a whole case of it and never had a problem up until now.

4. Furner

Furner New Member

i took it in today and they will only do a warranty replacement for the same drive. so i am going to ebay or otherwise sell the brand new drive as soon as i get it back, and buy an aftermarket superdrive.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

on a mac mini, a super drive replacement can be a pain in the butt sometimes. also, it can be pretty expensive. you can get a firewire/usb2 external dvd burner for around $100. i would consider that

6. Furner

Furner New Member

i really dont have the desk space... i can get a sweet internal drive for like $120
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/DVRK06L/