mac home server?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by John Galt, May 9, 2008.

1. John Galt

John Galt New Member

I'm looking to create a setup that allows me to have my torrents seeding, my itunes library, and time machine backups for whoever is using a mac in the home.

I'm essentially ruling out using FreeNAS with AFP shares on a cheap CPU/mobo, that would be nice but also means that any streaming to an Apple TV would go from Apple TV -> router -> my mac -> router -> NAS -> drive -> NAS -> router -> my mac -> router -> Apple TV.

Ideally, it seems like I'd use a Mac Mini with a 4 bay drive attachment. That way I can also use it as a a video conversion hub and an iTunes server without having to leave my laptop open.

My understanding is Firewire 800 is the best way to drive enclosures (besides eSATA, but that obviously isn't an option). Also, I want at least 4 bays, and I already have a 500 gb external from Western Digital that runs on PATA.

Basically, what I'm wondering is how to get all this working. I can't find *any* enclosure for four drives that uses firewire, and some expensive ones (150-200) for USB 2. It looks like I won't be able to put the PATA drive in a SATA enclosure.

It's looking like right now that my best bet is getting a mini, then hooking up a USB hub that routes to cheap enclosures for each separate drive, so then my storage space is essentially unlimited in the future.

Also, what is the best way to keep backups in case of a crash? Just use Time Machine to backup at least my iTunes library so I don't lose that, and probably not the torrents since they take up so much space?

Comments, suggestions?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

AFAIK you cannot use Time Machine over a network with the exception to an Airport Extreme.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/10/how-to-enable-time-machine-on-unsupported-volumes/

as for the setup, its somewhat confusing. don't let a single pata drive hold you back from using a sata enclosure. use that pata drive as a backup drive or soemthing, hard drives are cheap now anyways.

since you need firewire 800 and 4 drives, your options are a little limited if you want to keep it cheap
    http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2597
    http://www.directron.com/ms4b.html

a better idea might be to get a firewire 800 hub and several firewire enclosures.

one question you might want to ask youself is why you need firewire 800 over usb 2...if your running this all over a network, you will probably not notice a huge increase in speed.

if it was me, i would buy a 4 sata enclosure usb 2 case from newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817424023

4. John Galt

John Galt New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1 Mobile/5A258f Safari/5525.7)

you have been able to from day 1, but technically only if the machine hosting the AFP share was running Leopard Server, but practically any AFP share on any OS works

5. John Galt

John Galt New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1 Mobile/5A258f Safari/5525.7)

:doh: I somehow forgot the network is the limiting factor in that setup, not USB

Why shouldn't I just get 4 shitty enclosures and a hub? It seems like it would be a lot cheaper

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

glad to see your thinking. the only reason you might want a firewire 800 enclosure, you could have it configured in a raid array. also, firewire 800 will give you faster disk to disk transfer speeds if you need to move stuff around

but like you said, you network is going to be the hog, especially if your on wireless or 100mbps. gigabit speeds will be nice, but not worth the extra price of getting a firewire800 drive setup just for that little edge