Mac Ghz

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SockCymbal, Oct 23, 2004.

1. SockCymbal

SockCymbal New Member

How exactly does mac ghz compare to PCs...I know they aren't the same...a 1 ghz g4 would be faster than a 1ghz P3 or something....but by how much? What kind of PC would compare to say a dual 2ghz G5, if one at all? :)

2. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I'm certainly no expert on the subject. But as far as I know, the PPC cpus Apple uses are based on RISC technology (reduced instruction set computing), and this is supposed to be more effiecient than the x86 you find in wintel systems. Basically, you're supposed to get more bang for your Ghz because the mac can accomplish the same thing as the pc, but doesn't need as much instruction-processing to get there. Something to that effect, at least.

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Check out the comparisons between the computer types on apple.com

4. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

5. Brian

Brian New Member

dont just look at the apple.com those are biased

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't care the exact mhz > mhz of apple vs. pc...

I will say this *universal* truth: dollar for dollar, you get more PC for the money when compared to a mac.

7. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

Undoubtably thats true in terms of raw computing power.

But you are forgetting that the majority of home computer users never actually push their computer to the limits, or even come close to utilising all the power at their hands. So what's more important to users like that? Ease of use, reliability and security.

All of which Macs have in abundance over PCs.

8. Apothis

Apothis New Member

That's supposedly true for low-end stuff, but it's certainly not at the high-end.

9. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Its not that im lazy, its just that I dont care.

I disagree..

I have a now 4 year old g4 system, which back in the day would have been the same price as a p3 500..

The g4 still runs perfect, and runs the latest software but my old p3 700 laptop crawls under the strain of the same kinda work.

The apple is a more expensive system, definatly. However when your buying an apple your buying a very high quality system. Sure you could build a clone cheaper, but the quality of the apple will be alot better.

Its a very hard comparison to make. I think at the end of the day dont compare the speeds of the systems.. Apple do it a bit but they are trying to sell machines.

Look at the machine for its merits. Ie. Look at what your trying to do and then look to see if the apple is the correct platform.

10. plat

plat New Member

i'l give you ease of use, but not reliability or security.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

can't be more untrue... A PC that does everything the average home user does (burn cd's, email, chat, internet, word processing, etc) costs around $500 for a GOOD config. We're talking Celeron D 2.4GHz, Windows XP, 512MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD, etc. Show me what mac you could get for that price?

12. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

this thread was destined for the failure that it has already become and will slowly but surely break the one page mark that every thread in this forum seems destined to be capped at

13. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:werd:

this thread will run red with the blood of the ignorant non-believers. :)

<== has actually owned and used all flavors of windows machines and macs for years, so don't bother with any replies about me being the ignorant one. :wavey:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  14. samm

samm Next in Line

A base model eMac costs $799. A refurbished one can be bought for $649 from apple.com if you are want to save $100.

15. Brian

Brian New Member

:ugh:

thats all i got 2 say

16. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

Show me a PC for $500 used by a cheap arse user that wont be riddled with spyware, virii and trojans within months of being set up.

A mac comes with everything for a home user. Word processing, email, internet browser, photo organiser, music player, video player, calender and so forth. Slightly better software package than the programs with Winxp. On top of that, you also get a computer that is less vunerable to exploits and consequently more secure.

I've built my share of PC's, I currently have one Mac and three pc's, two of them built from scratch. Sure there are heaps of negatives to owning a mac, the lack of customisation and poor software support for starters, but there are also many positives.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Every single one of the PCs I build for clients includes Antivirus with free lifetime updates, as well as Spybot and Adaware.

Run those regularly, and your system will stay clean.

18. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

one of the beautiful things about macs is you don't need that crap. you also don't have to depend on the customer actually running anything regularly just to keep their system clean.

i have an anti-virus program that runs at start-up on my mac just because it was free from apple so i figured i might as well use it, but i haven't had a single infected file in over five years with that machine. on the flip side of the coin, last time i was home to visit my parents, my dad was complaining about frequent random pop-ups. i ran the software you mentioned on his machine and had found over 250 infected files before i finally got it clean. same thing happened with my brother-in-law's girlfriend's pc. she brought it to him to look at and he ended up calling me. she also had over 200 infected files. he was living with us for a couple of months, since his machine was on my network, i ran the whole shabang on his machine one day while he was gone and found around 200 infected files on his machine.

all of them had the software mentioned on their machines, but they hadn't run it or updated it in a very long time and didn't have any of them set up to auto update or auto run. they all just assumed that since it was installed, that it was doing its job.

in over 12 years of using macs, i recall only one occasion where anything of the sort affected a mac. that was a worm that got into our mac network.

19. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Each has their own benefits, and downfalls, I use both myself, I have built quite a fiew PC's for people, and I use macs every day. Personally, I like my mac better then my pc for everything but gaming ;) I will always own both, unless mac gaming becomes more mainstream. Use what you like, but remember that doesn't mean one or the other is better. Use what works best for you.

20. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:hsugh:

Could you be more wrong? Macs not reliable or secure? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :gtfo:

21. Brian

Brian New Member

windows- price speed more software

macs - ease of use, realible, security, and the ability to do work while you are rendering video which is a major + if you are in a airport, hotel, plane