Mac formatted iPod can be used on a Windows?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Jul 26, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

if I plug a Mac formatted iPod onto a Windows machine, or vice-versa, will that be a problem? am i gonna have a message that says "u stupid idiot u formatted this iPod on a Mac and u wanna try to plug it onto this Windows? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

i really dont see why what OS is used would be a problem, but i do see this as a potential problem. my mom just bought an iPod, and before i format it on my Mac id like to know if im gonna have this trouble. if so, i will format it on my windows machine.

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

actually, a windows formatted ipod will work both on a windows pc (duh) and a mac

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ah thats a piece of good news. thanks!

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

although, if you try to get music from 2 different libraries it'll laugh at you...

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

im quite sure ive done that before. there is a setting that u have to set in ur iTunes and tell it to NOT automatically sync with a particular iTunes, something like that.

now that i think about it, the above info doesnt make sense, altho may be true. Apple made this product. shouldnt it be Mac-formatted iPods would work on both OSX and Windows, rather than WINDOWS-formatted iPods working on both OSs? someone at apple screwed something up here.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

windows is formatted in Fat-32 so it works with both OS x and windows

mac is in HFS+ so it only works on the mac

:bigok:

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

manual sync/manage is what it called

i remember when i got my ipod mini, it was auto syncing the music out of my library. i ran into a problem because my library is about 40gb, but my ipod mini can only handle 4gb. it kept giving me error messages

autosync is only good if you don't remember what you added to your library and you have the disk space (80gb ipod)

also, i'm nearly 100% certain that new nanos are set to manual when you get them, to solve this headache