Mac for DVR

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeuceFactor, Apr 23, 2007.

1. DeuceFactor

DeuceFactor New Member

So I really like the windows media center, DVR and streaming to my xbox. It seems a lot more powerful than appletv. Can you guys share any experiences using your Macs as a DVR? What tv tuner do you use? Can you record HD content?

Many thanks to the Mac Shack

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I use the EyeTV hybrid from www.elgato.com

it was on sale for $99 bucks, so i gave it a try.

it doesnt get HD channels through normal cable, but i picked up a $20 digital HD antenna from amazon.com and it works great.

I get to watch any of the over the air HD channels for free and record them (i mainly use it for 24, heroes, late shows, etc).

i think there are other tuners on www.elgato.com that will allow for a true HD setup, but youll have to look around the site.

i love it, i have a 30" apple display, so it's all right there whenever i want it. :)

3. Euclid

Euclid New Member

^ The hybrid has been working well for me, too. My only complaint at the moment is a bug which won't allow my mac to sleep with the hybrid attached via a USB hub, so I have to keep it directly attached to my computer.

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

The combination of XBOX360 + Windows Media Center is untouched in the Apple realm at this point. The total integration of those two is really awesome, and I run Vista + 360 at home mainly just for that integration.

The Elgato system works well, but you will not be able to watch shows in HD on your 360 with it.

5. DeuceFactor

DeuceFactor New Member

Yes I agree. Many of my friends on the darkside have this setup and I really like it, however it pains me to build a Windows PC.