Mac for a Graduate?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unorthadox, Jun 26, 2008.

1. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Just got a couple general questions for you guys who currently have Macs.

I just recently graduated from Univ and am going to get a new computer after dealing with a Dell for 4 years (don't ask).

What would you say the big difference between MB and MBP are? Is the price difference really that worth it?

I'm looking for a "desktop alternative" type of laptop, one in which I can use in any room of my future house but at the same time have it be powerful enough to be a home computer.

As well, in terms of customization, what are some of the items you have gone after or passed on. I looked at the 4gb vs 2gb and that seemed like a much needed improvement but wasn't completely sure about it.

Any tips or hints from current MB or MBP users would be helpful. Thank you!

2. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

memory is always better to do aftermarket (read: don't order from apple), but I bumped my pro up to 4GB right after I got it, and it's :bowdown:

pro's have a graphics card, so if you want to use it for video/photo editing or games they're better.

if not, a regular macbook is probably fine.

3. Pitt

although I'm not sure for HD video watching which is better.

my old powerbook can't handle 720p and I don't know if that's due to the graphics card or the memory or the processor.

obviously current macbooks are going to be better than it was, but I never bothered to compare the performance of the current MB when I got a new MBP.

4. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

5. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Thanks ink et al

6. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Ok now that I plan on getting a mac I need to figure out which one to get.

I am thinking MBP is the way to go, mainly because I won't be running with an external monitor (13inches is tooooo small in the MB)

In terms of price points for the 3 models of MBP, I am looking at the first one and second one. However, is the difference of 2.4 ghz and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB versus a 2.5ghz and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB worthy of the steep price change?

I will be using it to watch movies on, listen to lots of music on, do a bit of photo editing and a bit of video editing (just a hobby), and play games on - so will I need that extra stuff (2nd option) or can I get away with the basics (1st option)?

I'm not the most tech saavy person in the world..

7. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

Sounds like you've got it narrowed down, but are also considering price in your decision. A good way to get a great Apple product and save some $$$ is to consider a refurbished Mac. You sound like you're not in the US (English perhaps) so I don't know what the refurbished selection or savings is like there. But, in general, considering a refurb is a good option.

Good luck!!!

8. Pitt

before the new models I was looking at the high end mbp that had the 256 graphics card, then when the refresh came, it made the choice easy. :wiggle:

256 handles everything I've done fine.