Mac Dialup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jul 21, 2005.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

My godmother and her husband have a 9 year old Dell. They keep going to lame sites which give them spyware. I'm sick of reinstalling win98 on it and they're sick of it locking. So they're thinking about getting a new computer...

I recommended a Mac Mini or iMac if they want to spend that much and they're seriously considering it. Only problem I've run into is they use PeoplePC for dialup and they don't have software for Mac. They have no use for cable since they rarely use the computer.

Most decent dialup ISPs have their own software that needs to be installed but I can't think of any that are $10/month AND have a Mac version of their software. Any recommendations?

2. ej25power

ej25power OT Supporter

I think you just need their number/user/pass and enter it all into the netowork preferences. Maybe there's an open wireless network they can mooch off of instead?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Any real dialup ISP doesn't require any special software so they don't care what OS you're running as long as you have dialer and TCP/IP. For example, dslextreme.com has dialup service for $10-13/mo depending how how you pay. Just plug in the number/name/password and you're set.

4. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
    Most locally based ISP's do not require any special software, and just use basic dial up networking (username/password). Check your yellow pages, there should be tons of local ISP's for cheap.

5. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

:werd: i'm on juno dialup right now, all you have to do is open up internet connect and type in the connection number and username/password.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Dude that people PC is expensive as shit. Ev1 www.ev1.net is 10$ and has all the shit people pc offer for free (plus mac support).

though you should be able to just use a user/pass and get on.. just like everyone else has said.

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

or just get SBC DSL for $14.95. :dunno:

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. It's CHEAPER than the $10/month you're paying for the first three months, then it's only $0.95 more.

http://www.peoplepc.com

9. JustSurvive

JustSurvive New Member