GUN M9 light and holster recomendations for deployment?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fatmoocow, May 17, 2009.

1. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

My buddy is off to iraq soon. I was asking me to find him a laser for his M9. I suggested that a laser is going to be pretty much worthless for him, but a good light might be useful. So what recommendations do you guys have? He also needs a drop leg that will fit and night sights.

Thus far I'm thinking Surefire X300 with a M11 adapter. I could probably have someone make a custom cordura drop leg, but maybe a safariland would be better? Any suggestions or particular models that you have experience with?

Thanks for you help.

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

M9 doesn't have a rail but I've seen guys with Crimson Trace. :dunno:

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

No rail on an m9

4. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

there's an add-on adapter for weapon lights. Get him one of those, plus a Surefire and some batteries. Then a Safariland 6004 holster, or the ALS equivalent.

5. fatmoocow

ok sounds like I'm on the right track. Any ideas on night sights. Looks like the Trijicon show as white during the day, but color at night only. I need something that's different color front vs. rear during daylight. Fuck this is going to be expensive.

6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

How are you going to get his armorer to change the sights out? Granted, the stock sights suck ass but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be willing to swap 'em. Y'all aren't going to have time to do it yourselves because typically they check you out the weapon on your way to the airport. :dunno:

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

basically what everyone else said: safariland 6004.

and some people like to modify them so that you only use 1 leg strap, your friend might want to look into that for comfort.

8. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

this. Armorers are responsible for modifications to weapons, and sights are pretty darn permanent mods. An add-on light rail that can be removed during normal field-stripping, I think he could get away with if he can get permission from his chain of command. Likewise the light itself. And if he purchases the holster--or you do it for him--there's not a lot that the CoC can do, unless they prohibit using personally purchased equipment in the field.

9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Plus you have to get it through the shake down process when you arrive in theater. And his CO has to not be a dick and sign off on it (most wont sign off on weapon mods unless you are in a specialty combat arms unit).

Best to wait tell he gets over there and have him buy it himself in country.

10. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

M9 has a rail

M9A1, that is
    [​IMG]

11. fatmoocow

He's high enough up and good friends with enough people that he can probably shoot haji's with a bow and arrow if he wants. He's kind of in a weird place because he's ranked a lot higher and has more responsibility than is normal (happens when you're not retarded and those above you fuck up a lot).

They've got a little bit of time before heading over. So it would probably be alright. Priority is the light/holster combo though.

Heard some funny ass stories this weekend though. Some how most army stories involve injuries to the taint or nutsack.