.M4V / .MP4 Tagging?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Mar 12, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I've started ripping moving to M4Vs. Does iTunes apply tag information to the file or keep it in the iTunes database?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It does apply tagging. All videos are put into the Movies category when you add them to iTunes initially. You can then set them to TV Show or Music Video afterwards (although it doesn't allow you to set more then one of them at a time which really sucked as I realized when tagging over 300 music videos). Season, episode, and season and episode ID can be tagged too in addition to all your standard tagging info you have with MP3s (name, artist, year, etc).

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

My main concern is using the videos somewhere else. I'd like to tag them and if I give them to someone or whatever, the tags be embedded in the file.

I know iTunes doesn't embed artwork, it just put's it in the iTunes folder. Which is a disappointment cause I'd like artwork to go with it too.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

The more I play with videos in iTunes, I really hate how Apple set it up. We need more options, like folders for videos.

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

The main tagging will stay with the video file (everything you see in the Info tab). Information in the Video tab will not. Artwork should stay with an MP3 (it always does for me when I transfer it to another machine).

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

actually I would much rather see directed acyclic graphs used for the file storage metaphor :hs:

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

why are you using itunes, just keep them in folders on your hdd. whats so good about iTunes? :dunno:

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

Cause that's how I put them on my iPod / iPhone.